Braunschweigisches Inf.-Regt. 92 III Btl.

Lost Skeleton

Though I purchased this M1891 from Advance Guard Militaria in August, 2015, I haven't shared it here. As the photos reveal, the helmet has a tall profile suggestive of the proportions of the M1887. Like archetypal M1891s, the rear spine is sans ventilation shutter and the Wappen is attached via threaded posts, nuts and washers. The liner tongues are squared in the style encountered on private purchase helmets prior to 1890. The helmet is not regimentally marked, and I have not removed the Wappen. I have had a few unfortunate experiences with old solder when vetting IR 92 helmets, and have no desire to disturb this one. The two Wappen mounting holes are unaltered. In my opinion, the Braunschweig Kokarde is either a reproduction, or has been repainted.

The skeptics are free to doubt.

IR921_zpsoperm3fl.jpg

IR922_zpsodmljwjo.jpg

IR923_zps8l5pifoi.jpg

IR924_zps28lwuc1l.jpg

I remember that one well, you beat me to the draw on the AGM website that day :-x

I am no expert on these, but to me it looks right and I think you did very well.

Hope all is well, I see the house is coming along nicely!

James

From what I see I like it also
the liner also shows it is an earlier model

Is the yellow / gold ring in the kokard
metal color , or is it painted?
Steve

J.LeBrasseur said:
I am no expert on these, but to me it looks right and I think you did very well.
Thanks, James. I have no reservations whatsoever; the IR 92 is right as rain. If I could clone it for you, I would. All is well here, and the SOS is not that far off. :)

KAGGR#1 said:
Is the yellow / gold ring in the kokard metal color , or is it painted? Steve
Hi Steve:- The gold ring is painted. However, the Kokarde is a non-ferrous alloy — most likely brass. I have encountered this before with Braunschweig Unteroffizier mit Portepee Kokarden.

P1010057.jpg

P1010056-1.jpg

The Kokarde on the M1891 III Batl. was represented by the previous owner as a reproduction.

IR925_zpsyttbiuhb.jpg

Chas

I am not so sure that the kokard is not correct .
I have seen some like that before
I might even have one
I will need to look

Steve

KAGGR#1 said:
I am not so sure that the kokard is not correct . I have seen some like that before I might even have one I will need to look Steve
I would be very interested in seeing your specimen, Steve. Thanks for your interest.

I have shared this Eigentumshelm before. It is the Braunschweiger with the Unteroffizier mit Portepee Kokarden that I posted earlier in this thread. The helmet makes a great bookend for the III Batl. more recently acquired (and I have the parade Trichter for it as well).

Regards,

Chas

IR92IIIBatl1_zpsd2ntvk0q.jpg

I don't know what has happened, Philippe. Every photo I have ever posted has disappeared from this website. I use Photobucket to host the images, and files are still there. Hopefully, it is just a temporary thing.

Chas

Chas ;
Your I R 92 photos are back for me .

I will try to get I R 92 kokard photos .
I have a running horse also
I got it years ago.

I am in the middle of big deals
for my I G shoulder strap collection
When I get that complete
I will try to get the photos

Thanks
Steve

Yes I am seeing the pics as well, I guess Pbucket got its act together. Great helmets Chas, fantastic condition! Like James, I would love to have either of those. :thumb up:

As I have very few original Braunschweig cocades, difficult to have a clear opinion on yours. The wear of the paint could be a clue.

Back