BRITISH ARMY INFANTRY OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATES 1878-1901 A SAMPLING PART ONE

Yeohelmetguy

As a follow-up to my last post featuring my officers 1878 pattern home service helmet to the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and a couple of the regiments associated officers helmet plates, I thought it might be of interest to the Forum members to showcase the variety of helmet plates worn by Victorian British Army regiments from 1878 through 1901. I am featuring only about twenty-five of the hundreds that would have been worn by regular army regiments and the volunteer battalions to the regular regiments and the volunteer regiments as they existed prior to the Cardwell and Childers reforms to the British Army in the 1870’s and 1880’s that did away with the old numbered regimental titles replacing them with new county associated titles based on where the regiment was located and recruited. The then independent volunteer regiments were incorporated into the regular army structure as volunteer battalions to the regular regiments. As examples of the name changes the 1st Regiment of Foot became the “The Lothian Regiment” or Royal Scots and the 44th (East Essex) Regiment of Foot and the 56th (West Essex) Regiment of Foot were amalgamated to from the new two battalion regiment the “Essex Regiment.”

I have arranged the images in to three distinct groups for easy understanding of where they fit into the army reforms mentioned above. The gilt helmet plates are those plates worn by officers in regular regiments post 1881 Caldwell/Childers reforms where the regiments became two battalion county regiments. The second group, in silver plate, are plates worn by officers in volunteer battalions to the regular army regiments post 1881. The third group, also in silver plate, are officers helmet plates to independent volunteer regiments as worn prior to 1881 (1878 to 1881). These regiments, after 1881, were renamed and renumbered as volunteer battalions to the regular regiments.

OFFICERS REGULAR ARMY REGIMENTS 1881-1901:

Helmet Plate West Indies Regiment.jpg
Officers home service helmet plate attributed to the West India Regiment as worn 1888 through 1901. The plate is entirely in gilt with, to the center, an intertwined "WIR" monogram on a gilt background, this then surrounded by the garter and motto, this in turn surrounded by laurel leaves to the left and palm fronds to the right all on a universal eight-pointed star, the upper most point replaced by a Victorian crown. Four battle honors are displayed on the rays of the star, Dominica and Guadeloupe on the left and Martinique and Ashantee on the right. The West India Regiment was formed in 1888 by the merging of the 1st and 2nd West India Regiments.

Helmet Plate Royal Lancashire Regiment.jpg
Officer's Home Service Helmet Plate to the King's Own (Royal Lancashire Regiment) as worn from 1883 to 1901. The plate. consisting of a star with the upper most point surmounted by a Victorian crown to which is mounted a laurel wreath and within the laurel wreath the garter and motto and to the center mounted on crimson velvet ground in silver the Lion of England. Below is the universal scroll in silver inscribed "Royal Lancashire Regt". The center velvet ground was changed from scarlet velvet to crimson velvet in 1900.

Helmet Plate The East Kent Regiment (The Buffs).jpg
Helmet Plate attributed to The East Kent Regiment (The Buffs) 1891 to 1901, gilt plate with silver title scrolls above the central device inscribed “The Buffs” and below the universal title scroll inscribed “The East Kent Regiment”. the central device, the Dragoon is mounted on black velvet.

Helmet Plate The Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment 1.jpg
Helmet Plate attributed to The Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians) 1891 to 1890, gilt star and garter with silver regimental title scroll inscribed “Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment” and the Prince of Wales's Plumes in silver with gilt cornet central device mounted on a black velvet ground.

Helmet Plate The Devonshire Regiment.jpg
Helmet Plate attributed to The Devonshire Regiment as worn 1881 to 1890, gilt star and garter the central device, the Castle of Exeter with a scroll inscribed “Semper Fidelis” set on a black velvet ground and the universal regimental title scroll inscribed “The Devonshire Regiment” in silver.

Helmet Plate The Lothian Regiment.jpg
Helmet Plate attributed to The Lothian Regiment 1883 to 1890. The universal wreath is displaced with the Star of the Order of the Thistle in gilt on which is mounted a silver circle pierced “Nemo Me Impune Lacessit” on a green enameled ground. Within the circle on a convex green enameled ground, the Thistle in silver. The universal title scrolls inscribed “The Lothian Regiment”. The title was changed to read "The Royal Scots" approximately 1890. This plate displays a good bit of wear due to excessive polishing.

Helmet Plate The Connaght Rangers.jpg
Helmet Plate attributed to The Connaught Rangers as worn from 1881 to 1890. The plate is in gilt with as its central device the Harp with a scroll below inscribed "Quis separabit" in silver on a deep green velvet background and the universal regimental title scroll below inscribed “The Connaught Rangers” also in silver.

Helmet Plate The Norfok Regiment.jpg
Helmet Plate attributed to The Norfolk Regiment as worn from 1881 to 1890. The plate is gilt with the image of "Britania" as the central device in silver set on a black velvet ground and a silver regimental title scroll below inscribed “The Norfolk Regiment”.. This is a later version of the central device with "Britania's" hand raised. The black velvet ground showing wear.

Helmet Plate The South Wales Boderers Regiment.jpg
Helmet Plate attributed to The South Wales Borderers Regiment as worn from 1881 to 1890. The plate is gilt and the central device which consisted of the Welsh Dragon within a laurel wreath in silver set on a black velvet ground with a silver universal title scroll inscribed "The South Wales Borderers".

Helmet Plate The Border Regiment.jpg
Helmet Plate attributed to The Border Regiment as worn from 1881 to 1884. The plate is in gilt with as the central device in silver, the "Dragon of China" with a scroll above inscribed "China" surrounded by a laurel wreath set on a ground of white and red enamel with below, a scroll of special pattern inscribed "The Border Regiment".

OFFICERS VOLUNTEER BATTALIONS 1881-1901:

Helmet Plate The Liverpool Regiment, 6th Volunteer Battalion.jpg
Officer's Home Service Helmet Plate to the King's (Liverpool Regiment), 6th Volunteer Battalion as worn from 1883 to 1901. The helmet plate consists of an eight-pointed star with the upper most point surmounted by a Victorian crown to which is mounted a laurel wreath surrounding the grater and motto and within the garter on a velvet crimson ground the White Horse in gilt. Below is the universal scroll inscribed "The Liverpool Regiment" with a supplemental scroll inscribed "6th Volunteer Battalion below all in gilt.

Helmet Plate The Oxfordshire Light Infantry Regiment, 2nd Volunteer Battalion.jpg
Helmet Plate attributed to The Oxfordshire Light Infantry Regiment, 2nd Volunteer Battalion, all silver plate, the central device, a strung bugle horn set on a black velvet ground. The universal title scrolls inscribed “The Oxfordshire Lt Infy”.

Helmet Plate The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, Volunteer Battalion.jpg
Helmet Plate attributed to The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, Volunteer Battalion, all silver plate except for the rose and silver Royal Crest in the central device, the rose in gilt and red and green enamel all on a black velvet ground. On the universal title scroll the regiments title inscribed “Loyal North Lancashire Regiment”.

CONTINUED IN PART TWO...

David

What a beautiful and interesting selection! They don't, as they say, make 'em like they used to.

What a beautiful and interesting selection! They don't, as they say, make 'em like they used to.
Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much for your remarks!! I sure you are aware that these helmet plates, just a few of those that I have in my collection, represents just a small fraction of the several hundred helmet plates that were worn by the multitude of British infantry formations across the army and the and the existence of those formations. I absolutely agree with you in that they don't make them like they use to! I see them as pieces of the Jewlers art, some of these plates are made up of four, five, or six separate pieces... and for military ware, fairly delicate!

Again, thank you for looking at this small selection of plates from my collection. your continued enthusiastic interest in my posts and your always kind and encouraging remarks!

Cheers,

David

David,
Absolutely fantastic! Such craftsmanship, they are works of art. Thank you for sharing
Cheers,
Dennis

David,
Absolutely fantastic! Such craftsmanship, they are works of art. Thank you for sharing
Cheers,
Dennis
Hi Dennis,

Thank you for coming back and looking at "part one" of my two-part post about British army officer home service helmet plates, and as always and again, thank you for your generous comments! I pleased you got to read my introductory remarks that accompany the two posts!

Again, thanks so much for looking at this post!

Cheers,

David

I had no idea there was such a variety, the craftsmanship speaks for its self.

Well done, a beautiful collection and perfectly presented. Cheers, John

I had no idea there was such a variety, the craftsmanship speaks for its self.

Well done, a beautiful collection and perfectly presented. Cheers, John
Hello John,

First, thank you for looking at my "Part One" post regarding British officer pattern home service helmet plates and your very gracious and very kind remarks regarding the collection... these are just a small sampling of the collection. Likewise, I think these plates are lovely examples of the military tailor/outfitters/jeweler's craft. There were literally hundreds of unique regular army, volunteer, militia and rifle volunteer helmet plates worn during the reign of Queen Victoria which all these helmet plates trace back to. To further compound the issue, upon the death of Queen Victoria and the ascension to the thorn of Edward VII, the crown that surmounted the helmet plates was changed from the "Queens Crown" to the "Tudor or Kings Crown" much the same is happening today with the recent coronation of Charles III... the "Queens Crown" is being replaced on all regimental and corps insignia to the new "Kings Crown" to reflect the change monarch. I hope you had an opportunity to look at the helmet plates in my "Part Two" post as well as I think you will find more interesting plates that just emphasize the vast variety of officers helmet plates that were worn!

Again, thank you for taking time to look at my post and for your very generous remarks!

Cheers,

David

P. S.... WECOME to the Forum, you will find lots of institutional knowledge here with very generous members most willing to share their knowledge and expertise...

D.

Hi David,
Thanks for response to my comment, its really appreciated. I can certainly see why this would be a very worthy endeavor and well worth building such a splendid collection. I'm new to the forum so I'm trying to search the forum for post such as this. I agree there seems to be a really nice group here with tons of knowledge and experience they are willing to share. I'm really enjoying the decision to join.
I will certainly look for part two, which I'm looking forward to reading and viewing.

One quick question if I may. Is there a procedure that they go through when changing the design where the antiquated designs are made available to the public? Or are they handed over to the regiments?
Thanks again and well done on a very fine collection (y) Cheers John

Hi David,
Thanks for response to my comment, its really appreciated. I can certainly see why this would be a very worthy endeavor and well worth building such a splendid collection. I'm new to the forum so I'm trying to search the forum for post such as this. I agree there seems to be a really nice group here with tons of knowledge and experience they are willing to share. I'm really enjoying the decision to join.
I will certainly look for part two, which I'm looking forward to reading and viewing.

One quick question if I may. Is there a procedure that they go through when changing the design where the antiquated designs are made available to the public? Or are they handed over to the regiments?
Thanks again and well done on a very fine collection (y) Cheers John
Hi John,

Agreed, you will find this a very agreeable community to be a part of! Obviously, from the name of this group, "Pickelhaubes.com", the Forums focus is Imperial German headgear, uniforms and accouterments and militaria in general. I am sort of the odd-guy-out in this group as my collecting focus is British Army dragoon helmet and Victorian infantry officer home service helmet plates. Even thought my focus is not in-step with the remainder of the group, I enjoy post my collection here and I think, judging from the enthusiastic comments and responses from fellow collectors/Forum members, they seem to appreciate my posts and appreciate the quality of my collection... and I must say I have been the beneficiary of a great deal of knowledge, insight and understanding regarding Imperial German militaria! With that said, what are your collecting interests... Imperial Germany as well?

If you will notice, part two of my home service helmet plate post is up for you to view! You might also notice that I have a number of other posts, about 10 other posts here that you might want to look at, too, as they high light some of the dragoon helmets in my collection.

With regard to the officer's home service helmet plates, Victorian and Edwardian, and certainly prior to that, officers were required to purchase their own uniforms, equipment and accouterments at their own expense through a network of military tailors and suppliers, so these items were personal property and not that of the regiment/battalion/corps. Other ranks items came from unit stock.

I hope that answers your question?

Cheers,

David

Hi David, Thanks for the response and the answer to my question I wasn't sure how equipment was handled in the UK but I should have just assumed that would have been the case. I don't see how anyone could object to your well constructed posts. I have zero knowledge about the subject but that doesn't stop me from appreciating your collection. I'm a collector of mostly German and Austrian WWI items but I collect from 1870 till 1918. I collect from head to toe including weapons. I have some US, French and British items as well as some WWII items. I also love the Napoleonic period. Some of the highlights of my live were visiting Waterloo as well as playing a period Prussian drum at the Bluecher Museum in Kaub. I guess I'm not really as focused as I think I am :oops:

Hi David, Thanks for the response and the answer to my question I wasn't sure how equipment was handled in the UK but I should have just assumed that would have been the case. I don't see how anyone could object to your well constructed posts. I have zero knowledge about the subject but that doesn't stop me from appreciating your collection. I'm a collector of mostly German and Austrian WWI items but I collect from 1870 till 1918. I collect from head to toe including weapons. I have some US, French and British items as well as some WWII items. I also love the Napoleonic period. Some of the highlights of my live were visiting Waterloo as well as playing a period Prussian drum at the Bluecher Museum in Kaub. I guess I'm not really as focused as I think I am :oops:
Hi John,

Thank you for your note! My thinking is, we are all students of military history regardless of nationality or era, and certainly as far as the Forum is concerned and my particular interests, students of military fashion. I think we all tend to "color outside the lines" in our broader view of military history but have those finitely focused areas of passionate interest! I have been to Waterloo as well, many years ago... most interesting! When you were performing as a Prussian drummer at the Blucher Museum, was it in conjunction with a reenactment of his crossing of the Rhine on new year's night 1813-14?

I have a few remaining items of Imperial German militaria that I acquired in Germany in the early 1980 when I was living in Hanau on the eastern side of Frankfurt from Kaub...

Medals 1.jpg

Medal Baden 2 (4).jpg
BADEN Order of the Zähringer Lion

Medal Oldenberg 2 (3).jpg
OLDENBURG House and Merit Order of Duke Peter Frederick Louis (Haus und Verdienstorden von Herzog Peter Friedrich Ludwig)

IMG_1484 (2).JPG
1917 DWM ARTILLERY LUGER all matching serial numbers not deactivated.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg
1936 S42 MAUSER MADE LUGER all matching serial numbers, not deactivated.

Cheers,

David

I have now, during my stay in Great Britain, enjoyed your excellent Part 1 on Britisch Helmet Plates in peace.
Once again a picture manual that brings us closer to the formation history within the Britisch Army with the beautiful artifacts shown here!
I`m already looking forward to the next post :) (y)
Frank

On the Occasion of my visit to the Army Museum in York yesterday, I start here with a selection of photographed British headgear!

Attachments

• IMG_2713.jpeg
    IMG_2713.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2714.jpeg
    IMG_2714.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2716.jpeg
    IMG_2716.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2709.jpeg
    IMG_2709.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
I have now, during my stay in Great Britain, enjoyed your excellent Part 1 on Britisch Helmet Plates in peace.
Once again a picture manual that brings us closer to the formation history within the Britisch Army with the beautiful artifacts shown here!
I`m already looking forward to the next post :) (y)
Frank
Hello Frank!

How is your trip to the United Kingdom progressing? I hope, no, I am sure you are enjoying a most marvelous holiday!! Thank you so much for sharing some pictures from your visit to the York Museum, they are just amazing... fabulous!!! What other museums will you be visiting? I will look forward to seeing and hearing more about your UK visit!

Thank you for taking time away from your holiday to look at my most recent post showcasing some of my British Army officer home service helmet plates in my collection. I am so pleased you enjoyed the post and that it has, perhaps, given you just a bit of insight or greater understanding or appreciation for the artifacts you are seeing in the museums on your holiday. I have posted part two of my British Army officer home service helmet plates and is available for you to view at your convenience, I think it contains an additional 12 helmets plates from my collection, I hope you have a moment to look at it! As always, thank you for your very generous, very kind comments an observation regarding the objects in my collection, I am always excited to receive your enthusiastic feedback!

Please continue to enjoy your holiday, I will look forward to seeing and hearing more about you amazing adventures... and most importantly, safe travels back to your home!

My very best regards,

David

Back