BRITISH ARMY INFANTRY OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATES 1878-1901 A SAMPLING PART ONE

Hi Frank...

Love the pictures of the Scarlett Dragoon Guards helmet you sent along... here are three 1848 pattern helmets from my collection from the same period as the Scarlett helmet. I trust you are continuing to enjoy your fabulous holiday!!

Cheers,

David

FullSizeRenderabb.jpg
1848 PATTERN OFFICERS HELMET TO THE 5TH DRAGOON GUARDS (THE CARBINIERIES)

FullSizeRenderACC.jpg
OTHER RANKS HELMET TO THE NORTH SOMERSET YEOMANRY CAVALRY

FullSizeRenderADD.jpg
OFFICERS HELMET TO THE SUFFOLK YEOMANRY CAVALRY

Hi David,
Thats a nice little group you've kept, and your collection is beautiful (y)
About the playing of the drum at the Bluecher Museum in Kaub. Sadly I can't remember the mans name but me and my wife were finally passing by Kaub when the Museum was open. We parked by the Bleucher statue on the Rhein and walking up to the Museum. Long story short the gentleman was a real pleasure to meet and very generous with his time. Letting me handle and look over many of the items in the collection.

I suffer a bit of Bluecher worship amongst others from the period and I think the gentleman was really excited that an "American" had made such an effort to view the collection and to be honest even knew who the hell Bluecher was. Anyway I used to be a Drummer in my youth and made mention of it to him and he could tell I was really excited about the drum on display that actually made the march across the Rhein into France on Jan 1814. He ask me if I'd like to play it o_O After picking myself off the floor.,my wife made a little video of me playing part of a march from the period. Needless to say it was one of the best moments I remember.

Hi David,
Thats a nice little group you've kept, and your collection is beautiful (y)
About the playing of the drum at the Bluecher Museum in Kaub. Sadly I can't remember the mans name but me and my wife were finally passing by Kaub when the Museum was open. We parked by the Bleucher statue on the Rhein and walking up to the Museum. Long story short the gentleman was a real pleasure to meet and very generous with his time. Letting me handle and look over many of the items in the collection.

I suffer a bit of Bluecher worship amongst others from the period and I think the gentleman was really excited that an "American" had made such an effort to view the collection and to be honest even knew who the hell Bluecher was. Anyway I used to be a Drummer in my youth and made mention of it to him and he could tell I was really excited about the drum on display that actually made the march across the Rhein into France on Jan 1814. He ask me if I'd like to play it o_O After picking myself off the floor.,my wife made a little video of me playing part of a march from the period. Needless to say it was one of the best moments I remember.
Hi John!

Again, thank you for reading and responding to my most recent post and again THANK YOU for your very generous remarks regarding the helmet I've posted here!

What a remarkable story your Kaub Museum visit is and a remarkable memory and indeed uniquely rare opportunity to view and experience the museum's collection in much more "intimate" way with your own personal historian and guide!! And to be able to have hands on experience with such an important and valuable piece of military history via the side drum is simply remarkable!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with admitting to being a bit of a Bluecher-aphile... LOL, LOL!!! He was indeed a remarkable tactician and inspiring military figure not just in the annals of German military history but universally and is in rarefied company with the likes of Generals Wilhelm Groener, von Falkenhayn, Graf von Waldersee, Hindenburg, Ludendorff and a host of others.

Again, thank you for your very kind remarks and as always...

My kindest regards,

David

Back