British Buller Pattern Helmet

Peter_Suciu

This is a recent addition... so recent I only had it for an hour and had to photograph it! This is a Buller pattern helmet, which was basically an experimental helmet designed by the British to replace the colonial pattern Home Service Helmet.

This pattern was supposedly rejected for - say it so Franz Joe - for looking too Germanic. Only a small number of these were produced and very few have survived. This is only the second one I've ever even heard of in a private collection.

buller2.jpg

buller1.jpg

Yes they are wonderful photos that you have there! Not to stray off topic, but please do tell us the setup you are using to photograph with.

I rely on natural light, much like Tony and others. I have a shooting table, which is a small plastic sheet that attaches to a metal frame. This creates a natural curve.

I shot this outside, and as there wasn't a cloud in the sky I waited until the sun passed just enough for me to be in the edge of the shade. This is similar to the light conditions on a cloudy day, which is really the ideal light.

I use a Nikon digital SLR camera and shoot with the highest megapixel setting, and then readjust the white balance in Photoshop.

Plenty more photos in my new book! HINT HINT

http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/

I'm taking orders now! Hint, hint, hint!

What type of Nikon? And the pixel setting? I have an older 5.1 Mega pixel Coolpix 5600, and unfortunately not an SLR (except in 35 mm film).

I too shoot outside in bright cloudy or indirect sunny days. But I cant seem to get pics like the ways yours turn out. I must try to acquire (or pilfer :D ) a piece of white plastic sheeting. May I ask where you found yours?

I have a TON of stuff to photograph soon to finish up a website of my various collections of turn of the century stuff (last century not his one!). So I need to get a standard setup that will allow me to have a good backdrop and will help keep the item lit all around for some nice pics like yours!

I am trying to teach myself photoshop right now, so I will see how those skills develop.

Sorry to pick at your brain so much! But I need some good direction!

Oh, and I looked at your book, and I liked it! I will put it on my lists of books to get this year. I always did have a fascination of sun helmets, but I know didley about them!

There is a good discussion on photography at this thread:
http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1865

And a shooting table can be found on eBay, B&H, and other places. The prices range from around $75 to $1000+

Mine was about $100. It is very good I think. And you can buy colored paper as well. I just shoot on the natural white plastic... there is a picture of it on the other thread.

Hey thanks for the link! I checked it out, and now I know what to do! Thanks very much for your help. I have hundreds of items to photograph for my website. Some militaria and other stuff from the 1880's to 1920's.

Sorry to high jack your post, now we can return back to the regularly scheduled programing :D

Back