BRITISH DRAGOON HELMET COLLECTION #9

Yeohelmetguy

This post, number 9, highlights another helmet from my collection belonging to a very small, short lived (approximately twenty-two months) and obscure unit in the Volunteer force of the British Army. This 1847 pattern helmet is to an officer of the Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers. The unit was only in existence for less than two years and at its height of enrollment never numbered more than three officers and approximately fifty troopers on its rolls. There are only two known examples of helmets to this unit known to exist today, my officer's helmet and another helmet that was sold at auction some years ago by Garth Vincent Auctioneers. I do not know if that helmet was a trooper's helmet or officer's helmet.

The excerpt include herein is from an article written by H. Y. Usher, Helmets of the Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers and the 1st Lancashire Light Horse Volunteers that was published in the December 1958 (Volume 36, number 148) edition of The Journal of the Society for Historical Army Research.

"The monthly Army List for June 1860. and January 1861 show a unit known as the 1st Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers with headquarters at Manchester and with three officers, Captain H. A. Bennett, Lieutenant P. Turner, and Ensign S. P. Callender, all of whose commission were dated 22nd March 1860. Ensign Callendar’s name does not appear in the January,1861 list and had presumably he had resigned before that date. By the monthly list of November,1861 the unit had ceased to exist. No other unit of this name can be traced from the lists available to me."

"The officer’s helmet of this unit, must, indeed be rare, for Bennett and Turner subsequently carried on in the Lancashire Light Horse Volunteers, and it is possible that they may have had only the badge on their original helmets changed. The helmet is all silver plated except for the gilt rose boss atop the plume. The central device on the badge is a silver beaded star with thirty-four points or rays. On it is a garter with a “matt” surface and raised title letters reading MOUNTED RIFLE VOLUNTEERS. The garter surrounds a plain ground on which are embossed the Arms of the County Palatine of Lancaster, viz., the three lions with the cadence mark of a label with three points on the upper one. The horsehair plume is white over red, the stem being a red “shaving brush” shape. The helmet and chain are lined with fine red leather…"

Reference to this helmet can also be found in David J. J. Rowe's definitive work on British dragoon helmets titled Head Dress of the British Heavy Cavalry, Dragoon Guards, Household and Yeomanry Cavalry 1842-1934, pages 152-153.

Comments are always welcome, and as always, I appreciate you taking the time to view the helmet in this post and read the brief history of this unit! I hope you continue to view the helmets in my collection!

Cheers.

David

FullSizeRender1.jpg

FullSizeRender3.jpg

FullSizeRender2.jpg

FullSizeRender4.jpg

Magnificent, as always! What a rare and beautiful helmet - thanks for sharing.
Hi Jeff!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! It really is a gorgeous helmet... I have had it for a few years now and has been displayed in my foyer since I acquired it. It is remarkable in that there is hardly a mark on it and the only noticeable evidence of ware/use is a slight bit of ware to the central device. It has a rich red leather liner to the inside that is immaculate! I'm really proud of this one!

Again, thank you for taking a look at this post and your always very positive comments about the collection... always appreciated!!!

Cheers,

David

I'm sure we'd be interested in seeing the liner, if you get a chance to take a picture or two. Much like Imperial German headgear - they don't make them like they used to!

Another outstanding post. Thank you very much for sharing this very rare helmet with us (y)
Hello Sandy,

THANK YOU for taking a look at my latest post, I am thrilled you are appreciating the helmets and the histories in my posts... yes, an extremely rare helmet and a wonderful find!!

Cheers,

David

Thanks for the liner photo, I have never seen an interior shot of one of these. Interesting construction….red leather with squared fingers. I presume these finger tips were formed by being folded over and stitched? Is this typical of officer liners? Did the Brits ever adopt the German style liner with leather sweatband and silk?

Thanks for the liner photo, I have never seen an interior shot of one of these. Interesting construction….red leather with squared fingers. I presume these finger tips were formed by being folded over and stitched? Is this typical of officer liners? Did the Brits ever adopt the German style liner with leather sweatband and silk?
Hi Brian,

You are exactly correct; in this case the fingers are folded over and are very finely stitched to accommodate the draw string. This sort of liner was not common for officers' helmets but in this case and several other officer's helmets especially, the 1847 pattern helmets that I have seen and have in my collection, the leather is a very fine grain, very supple leather. Most 1847 pattern officers' helmets and certainly all 1871 pattern officer's helmets had a combination liner of silk and leather and sometimes padded. I have included a picture of the interior of an 1871 pattern officer's helmet from my collection that shows the silk liner. I think from what I have seen here on the "haubes" forum, Imperial German officer's helmets were lined with a sort of grosgrain silk whereas British helmets were lined with a more delicate Shantung or Charmeuse type silk. There was also some variation among other ranks helmets with regard to the terminus ends of the fingers, they, being pointed and each finger being an elongated triangular shape and the number of fingers varied. I hope this goes a little way to answering your question!

Cheers,

David

IMG_2531 (2).JPG

Thank you David, that is obviously a more complex design than the German Officer pickelhaube liner. This reminds me a little of what I have seen in IG officer busbies. One other difference I see here is that the lobster tail is not lined, whereas with the IG officer they are lined with black velvet or a fine leather. I have never owned an IG officer lobster tail helmet of any kind, so my knowledge is limited. Very interesting thanks again!

Thank you David, that is obviously a more complex design than the German Officer pickelhaube liner. This reminds me a little of what I have seen in IG officer busbies. One other difference I see here is that the lobster tail is not lined, whereas with the IG officer they are lined with black velvet or a fine leather. I have never owned an IG officer lobster tail helmet of any kind, so my knowledge is limited. Very interesting thanks again!
... Brian, you are welcome! I have never seen a British dragoon helmet, be it an officer's helmet or other-ranks helmet, that had a lining to the rear visor. Both officer and other ranks helmets had the front visor lined with skiver, very thin fine leather. The color varied depending on regiment but typically shades of black, brown or green is seen. Even my 1871 pattern 1881 dated 1st Lifeguards helmet, The Lifeguards along with the then Horse Guards (now the Blues and Royals) being the elite cavalry regiments of the British army and form the cavalry in the Household Division, didn't have a lining to the rear visor.

As an aside, the silk used in British officers' helmets doesn't hold-up well with time. It should also be noted that unlike Imperial German helmets that were worn at least into the early years of the First World War, the British Army had pretty much given up the wear of dragoon helmet in the early 1900's well before 1914 and the First World War.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
I was thinking the same when I saw the interio. Very interesting.

Wow - love the gorgeous interiors! Fascinating detail, and interesting contrast to IG techniques. Thanks David!

David, outstanding as always! Thanks for sharing .
Cheers,
Dennis
Hello Dennis!!

Likewise, as always, I appreciate you taking the time to look at the helmets in my collection and your valued and much appreciated commentary!

Thank you!!!

Cheers,

David

Wow - love the gorgeous interiors! Fascinating detail, and interesting contrast to IG techniques. Thanks David!
Hi Jeff!!

Terrific, I am so glad you find the interior liner pictures interesting and informative and a useful point of comparison and study in contrast between the British approach to keeping these helmets on one's head vice the Imperial German style of construction of liners. I will try to remember to include liner pictures in any future posts!

Thank you, again, for your comments and continued interest!

Cheers,

David

David,
what a rare splendor!
Due to the short wearing time an above all the hardly worth mentioning number (3 men?) basically a unique piece…..

What strikes me about this exhibit is the Double Color (red and white). Is this a fashion quirk or is there another reason?
Frank

David,
what a rare splendor!
Due to the short wearing time an above all the hardly worth mentioning number (3 men?) basically a unique piece…..

What strikes me about this exhibit is the Double Color (red and white). Is this a fashion quirk or is there another reason?
Frank
Hello Frank,

Thank you for your note, I am pleased you enjoyed this particular post. Yes, this indeed an extremely rare helmet and unique in its all silver construction and appearance. The white over red was a unit distinction, but the color combination was not unique to this unit.

Prior to the Crimean War, all seven British dragoon guard's regiments and the two dragoon regiments wore black plumes. I think it was the uniform regulations of 1857 the specified and codified the more familiar plume colors we see on dragoon helmets associated with Victorian and Edwardian era dragoon (regiment) helmets... the two dragoon regiments adopted black for the 1st Royal Dragoons and white for the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons, red for the 1st Kings Dragoon Guards, black for the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays), black over red for the 3rd Prince of Wales's Dragoon Guards, white for the 4th Royal Irish Dragoons, white over red for the 5th Princess Charlotte of Wales's Dragoon Guards, white for the 6th Dragoon Guards (Caribinani) and black and white for the 7th Princess Royal's Dragoon Guards. Yeomanry regiments followed a similar trend with their helmet plume colors... red, white, and black predominating but with some regiments like the King's Own Imperial Yeomanry adopting a yellow plume and the Northamptonshire Yeomanry adopting a pale blue and white plume.

In the regular British Army, the dragoon regiment helmet plume colors were spelled out in uniform regulations. I the Yeomanry force, plume color also became codified by regimental and army uniform regulations, but early on in the histories of the various yeomanry regiments the clothing of the regiment was at the whim of the colonel of the regiment or commanding officer, bur over time becoming more and more standardized and in-line with the uniform regulations that governed regular army regiments of dragoons, hussars and lancers. Regiments styled as "Mounted Rifle Volunteers" (as the helmet that is the subject of this post) fell out of vogue in the mid to late 1860's and very early 1870's.

I hope this goes to answering your question regarding plume colors...

Always a pleasure to receive your notes, and that you for your continued interest in my dragoon helmet collection and my posts here on the "Forum!"

Very best regards,

David

Back