BRITISH DRAGOON HELMET COLLECTION

Hello Patrick,

First let me say, you have a spectacular collection... it was exciting to see the pictures of the collection in mass and then some of your individual pictures of your various helmets... truly lovely. Likewise, nice to see and find another likeminded collector. All 27 of my helmets are cavalry/dragoon helmets. We have some of the same helmets... Lothian and Berwickshire Yeomanry Cavalry, Suffolk Yeomanry Cavalry, and the Fife Light Horse. I have a 1901 version of your Derbyshire Yeomanry helmet as worn by NCOs just prior to the helmet falling into disuse. Yes, I do have a copy of both of Rowes books, both dragoon and lancer. I also have a particular fondness for the Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers helmet. It is an extremely rare example that I know of only one other example sold by Garth Vincent Auctioneers some years ago. The helmet is referenced in Rowes dragoon book on pages 152-153 and a Journal of Army Historical Research article from, I think 1938 attached below. The Lancashire Mounter Rifle Volunteers were in existence for a little over one year from 1860 to 1861 when they were redesignated as Lancashire Light Horse Volunteers and rebadged and clothed. The unit had three officers and something less than 50 troopers! The Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet, likewise, is also pretty rare. I believe my Lancashire helmet to be an officer's quality helmet. I live in the United States but have spent time in the United Kingdom some years ago. I will be post more of the collection in the next little while so please be on the lookout!

Best Regards.

David1st Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers 2.jpgLancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteer page 1.gifLancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteer page 2.gifLancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteer page 3.jpg

Thank you David showing these. They are astoundingly beautiful. Until Patrick posted his, I really had no idea that British helmets could be so interesting and appealing. The research you just posted is fascinating.

There is a small bit of Lancashire here. My beloved wife was born in Manchester and raised in Barrow-in-Furness.

Thank you David showing these. They are astoundingly beautiful. Until Patrick posted his, I really had no idea that British helmets could be so interesting and appealing. The research you just posted is fascinating.

There is a small bit of Lancashire here. My beloved wife was born in Manchester and raised in Barrow-in-Furness.
Hello, Tony,

Again, thank you so much for looking at my posts, I'm glad you are enjoying my helmets! I took the opportunity to view your web site... what a marvelous collection you have, and I must say that German Empire period helmets are equally as fascinating and attractive in their many varieties and regimental nuances. I actually started collecting German Empire period helmets while I was post to Germany but quickly shift gears and resorted to collecting British cavalry helmets when I was later posted to the United Kingdom and have been a devout student and ardent collector of British dragoon helmets ever since! I think they are gorgeous and the history so interesting. Loke wise. I am glad you found the associated research of interest.

With your Lancashire connection through your wife, I will have more from Lancashire to post later!!

Best regards,

David

Hello Patrick,

First let me say, you have a spectacular collection... it was exciting to see the pictures of the collection in mass and then some of your individual pictures of your various helmets... truly lovely. Likewise, nice to see and find another likeminded collector. All 27 of my helmets are cavalry/dragoon helmets. We have some of the same helmets... Lothian and Berwickshire Yeomanry Cavalry, Suffolk Yeomanry Cavalry, and the Fife Light Horse. I have a 1901 version of your Derbyshire Yeomanry helmet as worn by NCOs just prior to the helmet falling into disuse. Yes, I do have a copy of both of Rowes books, both dragoon and lancer. I also have a particular fondness for the Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers helmet. It is an extremely rare example that I know of only one other example sold by Garth Vincent Auctioneers some years ago. The helmet is referenced in Rowes dragoon book on pages 152-153 and a Journal of Army Historical Research article from, I think 1938 attached below. The Lancashire Mounter Rifle Volunteers were in existence for a little over one year from 1860 to 1861 when they were redesignated as Lancashire Light Horse Volunteers and rebadged and clothed. The unit had three officers and something less than 50 troopers! The Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet, likewise, is also pretty rare. I believe my Lancashire helmet to be an officer's quality helmet. I live in the United States but have spent time in the United Kingdom some years ago. I will be post more of the collection in the next little while so please be on the lookout!

Best Regards.

DavidView attachment 31070View attachment 31073View attachment 31074View attachment 31075
Hi David,
Hello Patrick,

Best Regards.

DavidView attachment 31070View attachment 31073View attachment 31074View attachment 31075
Hi David,

That is some collection! I look forward to seeing more of what you have. I had never seen a Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers before - not surprisingly! I have both books and some years ago corresponded with David Rowe for a while, who was very helpful. Sadly, he died a few years ago. I covet a Lothians and Berwickshire officer’s helmet!

Hope we don’t get all these pickelhaube collectors too interested, or there’ll be more competition for what’s out there.

As you’ll have seen, I also have some home service helmets. I used to have many more but have scaled back and now collect the helmet plates and associated waist belt clasps. Shortage of space was one factor in this.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi David,

Hi David,

That is some collection! I look forward to seeing more of what you have. I had never seen a Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers before - not surprisingly! I have both books and some years ago corresponded with David Rowe for a while, who was very helpful. Sadly, he died a few years ago. I covet a Lothians and Berwickshire officer’s helmet!

Hope we don’t get all these pickelhaube collectors too interested, or there’ll be more competition for what’s out there.

As you’ll have seen, I also have some home service helmets. I used to have many more but have scaled back and now collect the helmet plates and associated waist belt clasps. Shortage of space was one factor in this.

Cheers

Patrick
Hi David,

Hi David,

Cheers

Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Thank you!! It is a modest collection, but one I am quite proud of and one that I continue to curate and add to when I hope is a very discerning eye! I didn't know that David Rowe had died... I had been searching for a way to contact him for a year or so ago to offer up an opportunity for him to include my Mounted Rifle Volunteers helmet to photograph if he ever did a revised edition of his book.

I have a helmet plate you would be interested in to one of the predecessor regiments to The Lothian and Berwickshire Yeomanry Cavalry... an officer's helmet plate to the Royal Mid Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry... picture below.

Funny you comment on the pickelhaube collectors... the general comment seems to be they did realize just how fabulous these British dragoon helmets are!

I keep toying with the idea of adding, just for a representation of the head gear of the other arms of service, a home service helmet or two, a couple of lancer helmets and a couple of hussar Busby's... I haven't pulled the trigger yet though! I do have a very few Victorian officers home service helmet plates. I hope you looked at my second post with the Canadian helmets. I will be posting more helmets soon!

My very best regards,

DavidRoyal Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry 2 (2).jpg

Hi Patrick,

Thank you!! It is a modest collection, but one I am quite proud of and one that I continue to curate and add to when I hope is a very discerning eye! I didn't know that David Rowe had died... I had been searching for a way to contact him for a year or so ago to offer up an opportunity for him to include my Mounted Rifle Volunteers helmet to photograph if he ever did a revised edition of his book.

I have a helmet plate you would be interested in to one of the predecessor regiments to The Lothian and Berwickshire Yeomanry Cavalry... an officer's helmet plate to the Royal Mid Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry... picture below.

Funny you comment on the pickelhaube collectors... the general comment seems to be they did realize just how fabulous these British dragoon helmets are!

I keep toying with the idea of adding, just for a representation of the head gear of the other arms of service, a home service helmet or two, a couple of lancer helmets and a couple of hussar Busby's... I haven't pulled the trigger yet though! I do have a very few Victorian officers home service helmet plates. I hope you looked at my second post with the Canadian helmets. I will be posting more helmets soon!

My very best regards,

DavidView attachment 31134
Hi David,

This is a spectacular and very rare piece. I take it that this is the plate Carman refers to as being worn on the leather helmet which was introduced around 1860 and worn until disbandment in 1871?

I also see that Carman has a photo of your Leicestershire helmet, also dating it around 1860.

At various times over the years I have posted British helmets on here, although some photos disappeared in the big meltdown some years ago. You may have found the surviving posts already.

I recently came across a Queen’s Own Worcester Yeomanry officer helmet 1850-1871for sale. Not for me, but if you’re interested, let me know and I’ll pm details to you. Same as the frontispiece in Carman.

Regards

Patrick

Last edited:
Hi David,

This is a spectacular and very rare piece. An officer plate, judging by the quality? I take it that this is the plate Carman refers to as being worn on the leather helmet which was introduced around 1860 and worn until disbandment in 1871?

I also see that Carman has a photo of your Leicestershire helmet, also dating it around 1860.

At various times over the years I have posted British helmets on here, although some photos disappeared in the big meltdown some years ago. You may have found the surviving posts already.

I recently came across a Queen’s Own Worcester Yeomanry officer helmet 1850-1871for sale. Not for me, but if you’re interested, let me know and I’ll pm details to you. Same as the frontispiece in Carman.

Regards

Patrick
Hello Patrick,

Yes, I think the Royal Mid Lothian plate is a pretty rare piece, particularly an officer's pattern as mine is and used on the leather patter helmet as you described... it was a great find a couple of years ago. I was also attempting to purchase the plate used be an earlier descendent of the Lothian and Berwickshire Yeomanry, an officer's plate to the East Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry... a plate of the same design as the Mid Lothian plate, different title and the metals reversed... it was gorgeous but alas, it got away!

Correct again, the Leicestershire helmet is referenced on pages 41 and 42 in Carman's book. I acquired my Leicestershire helmet from the estate/family of a gentleman who collected Leicestershire militaria for some 60 years and held in in his collection for about 40 years! You have to see in in person, it really is a lovely helmet, and the leather is just perfectly sound!

I would be interested in the information you have regarding the Queen's Own Worcester Yeomanry officer's helmet... e-mail it to me would be fine at your convenience. I am looking at a Norfolk helmet from the same period. What I would REALLY be interested in, should you ever decide to downsize and/or liquidate some or all of your dragoon helmets, is your 1st King's Dragoon Guards helmet and what looks to be your helmet to the West Yorkshire Dragoons and to a lesser degree your 1st Royal Dragoons helmet, though I am negotiating the purchase of a royal Dragoons helmet as I type this!

Best regards,

David

Hi David,

I’ve just opened a conversation and sent you a link to the Worcester and another to a 1st Dragoons.

Regards

Patrick

I've been reading your posts in reverse order, so for me your first one is the last. I think that today, as a modern uniform item, these helmets are the most attractive.

Ron

Hello Ron,

I do appreciate you looking at these helmets from my collection of dragoon helmets! I really appreciate you taking the time to look at these helmets... and at the risk of sounding somewhat boastful, I have to agree with you that these helmets are very attractive. In this post, the third helmet pictured which is an 1881 dated 1st Lifeguards officer's helmet is, with the exception of the style of the Queen's crown, virtually identical to what Lifeguards officers wear today... they are gorgeous! Again, thanks for your comments and for viewing this post... more helmet post to come over the next several weeks!

Kind regards,

David

Wrong plume on the Household Cavalry Officer/W.O. Helmet. H.Cav plume doesn't sweep back like the dragoon's, it falls straight. Beautiful collection
All the best
Martin

Back