British Mk2 Brodie helmet.

coert65

Here is my last addition for 2017, a British helmet .

Pictures are from the seller, which happens to be the same guy I bought my Belgian M15.

Have a nice weekend!

Greetings, Coert :)

Very nice example. It is a British MkI however, not a MkII or a Brodie. I know a lot of collectors call all British WWI helmets "Brodie" but the Brodie was really a distinct pattern from the MkI. The MkI was based on John Brodie's design, but the two patterns aren't technically the same.

Thanks for the extra info.
I always thought that the raw edge ones were Mk1, and the ones with the trim around were Mk2's.
So the ones with the raw edges were original Brodie's?
It is marked Brodie's steel helmet on the liner, War office patent.

Could you give me more info please Peter on these?

Nice weekend to you,

Greetings, Coert :thumb up:

The British WWI helmets are confusing because in the past Brodie and MkI were used interchangeability and now it is clear that there were multiple patterns.

There is the Type A - which Marcus Cotton said should be called the War Office Pattern Helmet. 20,000 helmet shells produced. Then there is the Type B, which is really the 1st Pattern Brodie. These are the ones with the raw edge. The MkI has the rimmed edge, but many of the early liners were apparently still marked "War Office Pattern," as that is the liner that is mostly seen in the Type A.

Cotton has been working on a book on British helmets that SHOULD clarify all this, but I don't know where the book is at this point. To add to the confusion J. Anthony Carter was also working on a book when he died in 2002 (which serve as a reminder to all wannabe writers... just publish already), and apparently some of Carter's work may have been based on Cotton's.

Thanks for the nice reply's gentlemen!

Peter, thanks for the additional info, I didn't know this.
Pretty complicated these helmets as it seems, will try to find out more, but I think you've supplied me with what there is to find..

Nice helmet Coert!
I was always told that one distinguishing feature between British or Canadian helmets and those used by the U.S. (other than the manufacturer numbers) was that the U.S. versions had a rivet for the chin strap attachment rather than a split pin. Like this:

pMiHnmo.jpg

Nice find,

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Thanks! :)

John, you are right about the difference concerning the split-pin versus the rivet!

Back