British Victorian 1st Royal Dragoons helmet.

stuka f

Don't know what it is with this helmets, but I think most of them must have been in Antwerp at one time...
I remember seeing hunderds of them on shelfs at a well know theatre prop buisiness here in Antwerp.
I do regret I never took a picture.
That buisiness, called Bayens, moved a few decenia outside Antwerp, and lots of the stock of original military items where sold by the auction house Heritage Europe, over several auction's.

Anyway back in the old days, when I was young, one was sold at the same time with a GdC mod 1862 at a local auction house.
Nothing to do with the previous story!
As I spended all my money (250 euro or 10.000bf , yes a bargain!) on the GdC, my father proposed to buy the British helmet also going for 10.000bf.
Here is a pic of both helmets in my late '70 ties collection.

But when I sold the entire collection, when married and buying a house, my father didn't liked it I also sold the British Royal Dragoon....

So here it is back, but it needs some attention.
And I was hopping some of you could help me find the parts I need.
All ready saw I could complete it with copy parts;
Household Cavalry Helmets - REPROMILITARIA | REPROMILITARIA
But I would prefere originals.

Comes the pictures.
Here in my messy bunker...

And on the photo studio for a better view;

So what I need is a bush and the chinstrap with one attache (rose chaped).

About the polaroid pic again; it is funny to see how most items I used to own, get replaced into the new collection.

Hi Stuka,

I have one of these, posted in ‘General Headgear’, five topics down in ‘Some of my British helmets’. If you look at this, you’ll see that the circlet with the motto around the ‘1’ on your helmet is upside down. I think this can be fixed easily if you remove the plate from the helmet and reassemble the different parts. I may have a suitable chinstrap somewhere- will have a look and get back to you. The hardest part to find will probably be the rosette which holds the chinstrap on.

Patrick

Hey Patrick,

thanks for your message.
I would love to find anything that might suite the helmet.
Having one rosette, can help me to copy it in plastic, for the time being in order to present the chinstrap if you find it.

I'll have a look at your poste later on. I enjoyed it before, love to see it again.
And I will take care of the circlet, also later on.

cheers
Kris

Hi Kris,

I've looked at my spare chinstraps, but, unfortunately, none of them are right for this type of helmet.

As you can see from my post the plume should be black and it is a different design to the Household Cavalry ones, which have a sort of ball at the top. Originals are very difficult to find. I haven't used them , but I believe you can get one made by these people http://www.theplumery.co.uk/modern%20military/modern%20military%20plumes.htm

Best of luck

Patrick

Hey Patrick

to bad for the chinstrap.
Thanks for the link!
Keep them coming, need all the help I can get.

Hi Kris,

I know you have family connection to your helmet, but here's a complete one in good condition at a reasonable price http://www.theoldbrigade.co.uk/viewphoto.php?shoph=34825&phqu=8

Patrick

Hey Patrick,

I did mention it in my first message, but the link wasn't that clear.
Did you see;
https://repromilitaria.co.uk/ball-tufts-%26-plumes
Can't find the info I need on their website, but what do you think for what you see there.
Does the hairbush, match ?

For the 1st Dragoons the plume should be black.

And don't confuse the 1st Dragoons with the 1st Dragoon Guards. They are two different units, which even confuses British collectors.

Hi Kris,

This site doesn’t have the right type of plume as far as I can see. It has to be like the ones on my helmet and on the one for sale I posted about. I would contact ‘The Plumery’.

Patrick

Thanks guy's.
I was planning to get a black one, but doubting about the form.
Does the chinstrat example on my link stands a chance ?

Back