Brunswick Hussar Regiment Nr. 17 (NCO Edition)

Jeff R

A Wachtmeister and an enlisted hussar (his son perhaps?). The senior NCO is sporting what looks like an impressive fourth-class lance proficiency chevron and wearing the officer-style sword and knot, along with a Schirmmütze with officer-grade cockades.

HR17 5.jpg

I love this image – a very elegant Wachtmeister, also wearing the officer sword and knot, as well as a gorgeous, high-end eigentum Schirmmütze.

HR17 6.jpg

A Wachtmeister and an enlisted hussar (his son perhaps?). The senior NCO is sporting what looks like an impressive fourth-class lance proficiency chevron and wearing the officer-style sword and knot, along with a Schirmmütze with officer-grade cockades.

View attachment 33916

I love this image – a very elegant Wachtmeister, also wearing the officer sword and knot, as well as a gorgeous, high-end eigentum Schirmmütze.

View attachment 33917
Stunning picture. Very cool.

View attachment 33916

View attachment 33917
Also the lace on his collar & cuffs is the Garde pattern
as worn by Prussian regiments
Steve

Hello,

I had this Photo from the family von Trauwitz-Hellwig. Two sons serving in Hussar Regiment 15, two were serving in Hussar Regiment 17, the father severed in Hussar regiment 17 as well i thing. But the one with the spike helmet i can't see what regiment that is.
And the other brother with the cap i don't know.

Attachments

• Familie 1908 v.TrauwitzHellwig.jpg
    Familie 1908 v.TrauwitzHellwig.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • Horst v.TrauwitzHellwig.jpg
    Horst v.TrauwitzHellwig.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
  • Otto v.TrauwitzHellwig.jpg
    Otto v.TrauwitzHellwig.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
Hello,

I had this Photo from the family von Trauwitz-Hellwig. Two sons serving in Hussar Regiment 15, two were serving in Hussar Regiment 17, the father severed in Hussar regiment 17 as well i thing. But the one with the spike helmet i can't see what regiment that is.
And the other brother with the cap i don't know.
Great photo
To me the spiked helmet looks like a Prussian Garde unit
and they went outside in the snow to have the photo taken
Steve

Hello Steve.

Ha ha yes they did. But thanks for the answer. Pitty you can't see wich Garde unit it is. The family must had been very Wealthy to send their sons to such elite regiments.
Must cost the family a fortune

I was on some German Forums, but never got answer on my question. In two weeks i had more answers than in six years. Thank you guys.

Where do you find it Glenn, i am now becoming curious. :)
Glenn is the best
If it is there he can find it
My guess is that he had the name
knew he was Prussian Garde
and used the Rang list ?
Steve

The first port of call as Steve alludes was the Prussian Rangliste. one can make out the Garde-Grenadier cuffs on the Guards officer and the only serving Garde-Grenadier officer in 1908 was Wolf of GGR 4. His biography as at 1910 is contained in the Offizier-Stammliste of GGR 4. He was born in Braunschweig on 19 November 1886 and entered GGR 4 as a Fahnenjunker on 27 November 1905. Promoted to Fähnrich on 18 August 1906 and to Leutnant on 14 April 1907. He survived WW1 and retired as a Hauptmann.

His father, Wilhelm was a former regular cavalry officer born in 1844. His civil profession after leaving HR 17 was that of Burghauptmann (castle governor) of Schloß Blankenburg. Horst-Wilhelm and Otto are the two HR 17 officers and Alfred and Ewald served in HR 15. The One Year Volunteer I am still working on!

Regards
Glenn

Hello Glenn,

Very impressing what you have found out.
I got a copy of the picture from the family von Bornstaedt. They are familly.

Ewald von Trauwitz Hellwig was the last of the 7 sons that died.
A dutchmen that also served in this Regiment was Juan Maria Teixeira de Mattos took over his uniform. That i now the Dutch army museum.
Can you also find something of Juan Maria Teixeira de Mattos.

He claims that he was in the Regiment till 1918 he describes. that in his diary. But i don't believe it.
These pictures copies i got as well.

Attachments

• Alfred von Trauwitz-Hellwig-1.jpg
    Alfred von Trauwitz-Hellwig-1.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Ewald von Trauwitz-Hellwig-1.jpg
    Ewald von Trauwitz-Hellwig-1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 16
Back