Bugler from a mounted formation - Unusual 'haube

Great picture, note the seams at the front of the dome! Perhaps this is one of the cloth-covered cork helmets?

seams.jpg

The Kokarde on the left looks thicker than the other one: perhaps non serrated ?
Looks great ! Not felt I guess.

Rgds,
Francis

joerookery said:
Great pic! I agree the seams give it away. No wrapper.... Do you have a unit.

No - not even a photographer's stamp on the back to help us with a garrison town, but I was thinking Train-Bataillon on account of his 'haube, Swedish cuffs, Faustriemen and cavalry breeches / boots.

The left cockade looks like it is white and "toothless"... saxon? This kind of ersatz helmet did exist in Saxony (cf Larcade).
Just my two cents though...
Bruno

Thanks for sharing: absolutely great helmet:

Königlich Sächsisches 4.Infanterie Regiment Nr 103.
63 Brigade-32 Division-XII Armee Korps-Bautzen

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/IR_103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Francis

Very interesting investigation!

My question might sound silly but I'll ask it anyway: Whay was there no wappen on such pickelhaubes to start with? :?

RON said:
Very interesting investigation!

My question might sound silly but I'll ask it anyway: Whay was there no wappen on such pickelhaubes to start with? :?

That does not seem a silly question to me because I was wondering the same thing myself :)

Regards,

Edwin

Theory.

When different war ministries contracted for ersatz helmets in1914. They flailed with different designs and materials. Priority was numbers. Smaller states had wappen shortages. Those in the Prussian army fell back on Prussian wappen but the smaller kingdoms made a decision to deploy sans wappen. So my Thought is that these were ordered and accepted from a cork producer. Bavaria does not seem to have had this problem and most of my documentation come from there. It goes back to understanding of the Probe system and the excesses of post mobilization procurement. we could prove this with the 1914 XII corps AVB. I do not know of one and as this is theory I will not enter into a first year law school debate about things Probe.

joerookery said:
Theory.

When different war ministries contracted for ersatz helmets in1914. They flailed with different designs and materials. Priority was numbers. Smaller states had wappen shortages. Those in the Prussian army fell back on Prussian wappen but the smaller kingdoms made a decision to deploy sans wappen. So my Thought is that these were ordered and accepted from a cork producer. Bavaria does not seem to have had this problem and most of my documentation come from there. It goes back to understanding of the Probe system and the excesses of post mobilization procurement. we could prove this with the 1914 XII corps AVB. I do not know of one and as this is theory I will not enter into a first year law school debate about things Probe.

Thanks Joe. I was fascinated to read that smaller kingdoms sent their troops into the field sans wappen. Do we know which smaller kingdoms did this?

It is reported that Wurtenburg made the decision early. I actually arrived home last night and I will see what I can find after I get Frank off my rear! I also recall something about the quality of cork being very poor perhaps that is why it went to a train bn.?

With Wappen

ps13 by joerookery, on Flickr

Absd. Untffz. E. Matzke
Schwerer Fstgs, Scheinwerfer Zug in Marienburg W/P. (Westpreußen)
The 3 in the middle the guys on the outside however...

From Tony S. These two guys on either side are Train. Swedish cuffs on the Feldrock and wearing leather-reinforced trousers. Plus mounted troop belts and carrying Train M52 sabres.

A cloth covered cork, you can actually see the dividers on the cover.

Back