Bulgarian M16

delboy630

I am interested in getting a Bulgarian M16 helmet for my collection. The helmet to me looks fine the only issue is the the front two liner fixing pins are not the flat type as in german ones. What do you think? Sorry for no images but I can't post any.

Delboy

This is the link to the helmet.

http://www.ww2-militaria.co.uk/Headwear.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Delboy

The helmet doesn't have flat rivets because I don't believe it was used during World War I. This was a post-war reissue, and I believe occured in the late 1920s and 1930s. I don't know the reason and no source really explains the WHY, but it seems that Austrian and German helmets were suddenly sent to various nations about a decade after the end of the war. I wish I knew WHERE the helmets sat for 10+ years, but I just don't know.

Thanks for the replies guys, would you be happy with it in your collection, given that it is not an imperial german issue?

Delboy

delboy630 said:
Thanks for the replies guys, would you be happy with it in your collection, given that it is not an imperial german issue?

I collect helmets from the 19th century to the modern day, so I might not be the best person to ask. But I think it is an interesting helmet. However, you must collect what you want and not be limited by what others might desire. So while I would be happy to have it in my collection others might not be as interested in it.

I think I need to stress that there likely is no "wartime" Bulgarian used helmets. I'm not saying that the Germans or Austrians didn't supply their Bulgarian allies with helmets but every photo of I've seen of these with the Bulgarian shield in use is from the inter-war period.

Germany supplied 170 000 helmets to Bulgaria during WW1 as early as 1917. I think Austria-Hungary may have sent some as well. In the few wartime pictures I've seen of M16 helmets in Bulgarian service, none had a shield painted on the side. The helmet shown in your link would be a post-WW1 issued helmet. The liner and chinstrap in this helmet are based on the WW1 German models, but don't appear to be of German manufacture.

I did some digging and discovered that these M16 helmets were standard issue until the introduction of their 1936 model. Many M16 helmets were apparently issued during WW2, and quite a few were repainted/refitted and kept in military stores during the cold war.

I would imagine that surviving examples of untouched WW1 Bulgarian issue M16 helmets must be extremely scarce.

Hans

Del, going by the domed liner pins and especially the shield, I think it's safe to say that it's not WW1 issue.

Hans

Teodor Muhovski posts on some forums. He is located in Bulgaria. If anyone could get an original WWI Bulgarian used helmet, untouched it would be him. I bet the price would be very high.
Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with that Bulgarian helmet. It has a nice charm.

I have an Afghan used Austrian helmet and those were actually impossible to get until after the US invaded in 2001. Now they're drying up. These helmets all have their own unique history. There are just layers and layers to it.

Guys

This has been a great post for me. I just like the look of this helmet and the condition of it as well. The size of the helmet is ET60, I'd imagine if this helmet could talk it would have an interesting story to tell. Like I said earlier everything about this helmet looks right. This post has helped me greatly!

Regards delboy

Back