busby

Saw that busby on the Griffin Militaria site listed as a senior NCO Busby for $2,750,
Now on eBay for $1,250 listed as a Wachtmeister .

JzPf said:
Saw that busby on the Griffin Militaria site listed as a senior NCO Busby for $2,750,

Really!?
I don't often see fake stuff on the Griffin site.

John :eek:

JzPf said:

At Griffin in the description it was also labelled as that of a Wachtmeister and yes it is also listed on ebay.

SkipperJohn said:
JzPf said:

Really!?
I don't often see fake stuff on the Griffin site.

John :eek:

Frankenstein IMO is a better description than fake - but it clearly is not what it is labelled to be and definitely not worth 2750. Poor guy who bought that and a shame it was sold the way it was. :^o

Why is it that busbies are so often messed with and, in proportion, it seems more frequently than Pickelhaubes - at least that is my experience?

I think that was a good choice to pass on this.

It is my understanding that Pelzmützen for Other Ranks were only made in seal hide, bear hide (Braunschweig Husaren Regt. Nr.17), or in the Ersatz versions (never seen an original) out of felt. Any Pelzmützen covered in wool or any other material I consider to be a reproduction or restored using wool instead of seal hide. I fully expect to see one recovered in feathers someday being sold as a rare South-West Africa Pelzmütze...

You are correct that Wachmeister were entitled to wear the officer Feldzeichen, same as Ulanen and any units wearing Tschako etc. It is my understanding though that only officers could wear the silver Fangschnurr as this was an indication of being commissioned. So Wachmeister would still wear the Other Ranks Fangschnur.

kaiserwilhelm2 said:
Hi Tony, Thanks for chipping in.

Just to be clear I am no longer considering the busby I was offered in trade that started this thread. That said I am still interested in learning a bit more about busbies in general.

1. the material on the busby pictured in this thread is supposed to be sheep wool of the astrakhan variety - now I am not interested in discussing whether the pictured busby does or does not have this type of wool on it but I would like to know if anything other than seal skin can be encountered on period busbies and to be clear I am referring to busbies other than the Ersatz type which were introduced during WW1.

2. could a period private purchase busby for a NCO that comes with an officer Feldzeichen (a legit period combo) also come with an officer Feldschnur and/or officer cockade? Or would be a NCO never wear an officer Feldschnur and/or officer cockade. Once again this is a general question and not one pertaining to the pictured busby.

Thanks!

Back