buttons and rosettes ....

pppara

Does somebody knows if the color of uniform buttons is in connection with the color rosettes on helmets?
Examples: IR 119, gilt buttons = gilt rosettes
IR 109 silver buttons = silver rosettes
this rule isn't true with infantry hessian helmets...
pp

In most cases, the button color will match the fittings on the helmet. One exception is Württemberg, where the buttons for GR119 and GR123 on the Waffenrocks were gilt, but the fittings on the Pickelhauben were silver.

For the Rosette color, in most cases I believe it depends on the color of the chinscales. If the chinscales were gilt, such as in GR109, the Rosettes on officer's Pickelhaubes were gilt as well.

For a unit like 1. Garde-Regt. zu Fuß who wore silver chinscales, the Rosettes on officer's Pickelhaubes were silver.

I think there are a few exceptions -- probably more. Pioneer Ofc. helmets come to mind where the rosette is one color and the chin scales another.
rosette.jpg

One thing I like about the book by Laine is that the metal colors on the Ofc. helmets are indeed colored. There always seems to be exceptions to every rule and not nearly every rule was followed.

there lot of helmet wich chinscales are gilt and rosettes are silver:
5 GZF, GARDE FUSILIER, IR 109,eisenbahn regiments, telegraphen batl, pioniere rgt, kraftfahr bat, 2 garde dragoner and dragons helmets (hessian excepted)....
i have found IR 119 with gilt rosettes, lot of my french friends say that is impossible....rosettes have to be silver...so it's why i want know if there is a rule....
thanks
pierrick

Back