Calls to display the German uniforms of King George V

Bungo

Apparently in the UK there are calls for the Royal family to display the German uniforms of King George V, which have been hidden away since 1914.

As the article mentions, George V had uniforms as part of his honourary role as Admiral of the Imperial German Navy, Prussian Field Marshal, Colonel-in-Chief of the 1st Guard Dragoon Regiment and Colonel-in-Chief of the Kürassier Regiment Graf Getzler (Rhine) No 8.

As part of the Royal collection, the uniforms have been kept in pristine condition. I would pay pretty much any admission cost to see that display.

link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2690012/Don-t-mention-ze-war-drobe-Call-unveil-George-V-s-German-uniform-hidden-away-Royal-closet-reminder-House-Windsor-rift-caused-WWI.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can overlook the brainlessness of the Daily Mail's reporting style, it's actually a fascinating article.

1405194577016_Image_galleryImage_The_King_in_Berlin_accomp.JPG

The Kaiser on the left, King George V on the right.

Bungo said:
If you can overlook the brainlessness of the Daily Mail's reporting style, it's actually a fascinating article.
I didn't think the reporting was that bad. It seemed to present the facts - and we have to remember most people don't know the history. This is a human interest story too so it gets dumbed down a bit.

Peter_Suciu said:
I didn't think the reporting was that bad. It seemed to present the facts - and we have to remember most people don't know the history. This is a human interest story too so it gets dumbed down a bit.

In general the Daily Mail specializes in xenophobic and lowest-common-denominator journalism. But yes, in this case, they did present the facts. It was just the cringe-inducing headline that bothered me!

Excellent pic, any idea of what Brit uniform the Kaiser is wearing? I wonder what happened to the Kaisers Brit and Russian uniforms? Hoos Doorn??

The Kaiser is wearing the uniform of a Colonel of the 1st (Royal) Dragoons.

Regards
Glenn

Back