Camels

joerookery

Chris and I have been gathering data on Macedonian helmets. Camels? I'm getting old -- I need more beer.
camels.jpg

Dramedary troops , cool topic. Are those Russian troops? I can not make out to well but look like it to me,maybe Bulgarian?
mark

Macedonia? The writer just comments that "this is one of the camel units (Kamelreiter Kolonnen) which we get to see nowadays". No unit ID or date.

pkarte_043.jpg

They had camel units in DSWA. Maybe it is them?

Camels are just nasty. Three lips, they smell, and they are not very cuddly. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Can the uniforms give a hint? The writer also mentions that they are "bringing ammunition up into the mountains". This sounds like war time.

Perhaps also the local up in front indicates something (besides that he needs new trousers).

Camels are just nasty. Three lips, they smell, and they are not very cuddly.
..how about dromedaries? :D

Here's some Bulgarians with camels too.

Note the camel herder on foot as well,with similar dress(cloth band rig around waist) as in Robert's pic.

camels.jpg

Bulgaria,from its old days of Ottoman rule,had substantial domesticated camel herds.They used them for transport,farming,meat and yoghurt.

"Bulgarian Camels captured...and used by the French Army" at Salonika

103204.jpg

joerookery said:
They had camel units in DSWA. Maybe it is them?

No, they're certainly not DSWA, although yes they had dromedaries there too. I'd go with the majority vote of Macedonia here, especially with the Bulgarians and locals in the shots... great photos though!

Cheers
Chris

Back