Canadian Universal Pattern Helmet Named

Peter_Suciu

I've been working on getting this helmet for a couple of months and the seller finally was able to cross the border from Canada today. Here is a Canadian universal pattern helmet with tin named to Major Frederick Denison. He led the Canadian Voyageurs on the Nile employed by the Imperial Government in the Sudan Campaign. The helmet has his initials on the leather headband, and is the type of private purchase officer's helmet used in the campaign. The tin is named to Denison.

Denison1.jpg

That's a great piece of Canadiana!

I also believe that the Nile Expedition was the first time that Canadian military forces served outside of Canada.

Well, soon after (actually mere minutes) posting the helmet online I was contacted by several interested parties. I was offered a considerable amount of money for the helmet by a collector.

However, I did sell the helmet to the Governor General's Horse Guard's Society and Museum. Major Denison served as commander of the unit when it was the Governor General's Bodyguard in the 1880s. While I didn't plan on selling it - and I know some collectors may think I'm crazy - I decided to sell it to the museum as it would be reunited with Denison's medals and other personal items.

The helmet and tin are going to a good home. I still was able to make a little money so I can buy something else. I am honored to have owned this piece even if only for a few days.

As has been said this is a great piece of Canadiana and Canadian history. It is best it goes back to Canada!

No intention to hack this post just wanted to ad a small story of a amazing find I did recently too.
It is no helmet not even militaria realted, (however ...!?).

But here is a leather mid 19 th century portofolio I recentely found at a local auction.
It is decorated with embroiding, showing a crown, initials and the crest of a country that only existed some 25 years.
After some hard research, with the help of different fora, I managed to find out who it belonged to and who the man was.
The map was ment to be used by the consul of Nueva Granada, in my own city ; Antwerp.

Here is the militaria related part, I found out the guy was a general in the Garde Civile ( the Belgian dad's army).
His name was Louis David-Verbist.
He was also a trader and ship owner.

I would have prefered finding his helmet, but love this item(with it's story!) as well.

Peter_Suciu said:
The helmet and tin are going to a good home. I still was able to make a little money so I can buy something else. I am honored to have owned this piece even if only for a few days.

As has been said this is a great piece of Canadiana and Canadian history. It is best it goes back to Canada!

Good on you sir!

I'm happy to see it back in Canada; and glad that you didn't take a financial hit for doing a good deed.

My respect to you, for doing the right thing, and returning the helmet to were it belongs.
Many people would go for the money, but you didn't. You did the right thing Peter. :thumb up:

Back