Canadians Are Issued Their Brodies

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
There has been a fair bit of discussion as to how the German stahlhelme was introduced into the trenches early on. Here is a brief account of how it was done in the CEF. This excerpt is from one of the best original survivor memoirs ever written by a member of the CEF. "The Journal of Private Fraser" Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1918, CEF Books 1998 ISBN 1-896979-28-9:
"I forgot to mention, that we are now wearing steel helmets. We started in with one to each bay, changing over from guard to guard. These helmets were treated as trench stores and consequently were turned over to the relieving battalion. There was no ventilation in the first issue and the head perspired freely. In time the helmet became part of the soldier's equipment and as soon as he came within range of shell fire he had to don it." pg 69.

The diary entry for this information was made on Monday Dec 20, 1915. You know much more about these helmets than I do Peter, does this indicate an issuing of the Mk1?

b.loree said:
The diary entry for this information was made on Monday Dec 20, 1915. You know much more about these helmets than I do Peter, does this indicate an issuing ok the Mk1?

I would wager that it was one of the corrugated models, they were a miner's helmet from what I understand and the Portuguese used them for a short time. This helmet had a felt liner that did not have any "ventilation" and would be inclined to be sweaty to wear.

If it was that early I would say it was the corrugated helmets. I don't know if these were actually "miner's" helmets however. From what I have read these were made in Birmingham as private purchase helmets at first, but then issued for field tests. It sounds like the firm that made miner's helmets made these, but are these the same model I don't know.

The felt liner and lack of ventilation would be an issue for miners. The British industry had a lot of experience with sun helmets and understood how important ventilation was for the wearer - so this is why I don't think these helmets were the same models.

Hey Peter, James LeB says mine is a miner's helmet. I have heard that from a number of people, and the corrugated dome would lead me to think they were designed heavy low velocity blows. They could have been based on such a helmet, like the Adrian was influenced by the classic fireman's helmet.

I always thought these corrugated helmets were Portuguese and had no clue they had been issued to and BEF or CEF troops. I also believed that the Brodie was based on a Medieval design. A design worn by archers and foot soldiers.

b.loree said:
I always thought these corrugated helmets were Portuguese and had no clue they had been issued to and BEF or CEF troops. I also believed that the Brodie was based on a Medieval design. A design worn by archers and foot soldiers.

These were designed by the British - but were generally rejected in favor of the Brodie design that evolved into the MkI. These were then sold to Portugal. Considering Portugal was Britain's longest ally - going back centuries - the British were not always the best of friends. Selling subpar equipment is just one example.

Peter_Suciu said:
These were designed by the British - but were generally rejected in favor of the Brodie design that evolved into the MkI. These were then sold to Portugal. Considering Portugal was Britain's longest ally - going back centuries - the British were not always the best of friends. Selling subpar equipment is just one example.
It was a great investment opportunity though, as the Portuguese helmets are worth a lot more than the British helmets now (with the exception of the British used corrugated helmets).

Peter_Suciu said:

They did that when they were fighting Napoleon and they sold some of the same things to Prussia. Anything for a £.

Back