Canvas Ersatz Authentic?

I don't like it - just my own taste - but it appears to be 100% authentic and in great condition! These models are highly sought-after.

Hi Eric
Welcome to the forum. You seem to have a very nicely preserved, nice looking, and rare pickelhaube. Besides Africa and Turkey, would this type helmet been worn in China and the Pacific?
Best regards
John

Hi Eric
Welcome to the forum. You seem to have a very nicely preserved, nice looking, and rare pickelhaube. Besides Africa and Turkey, would this type helmet been worn in China and the Pacific?
Best regards
John
Thank you for the kind welcome. Long time lurker, only two posts haha. This is my second cloth ersatz in my collection now, and this one cost me a pretty penny to get. I love the rarities.

Welcome on the forum Eric, you did very well buying this helmet, they are indeed very rare, and this one is in very good condition!

Congratulations, :) 👍

Regards, Coert.

Besides Africa and Turkey, would this type helmet been worn in China and the Pacific?
John, it´s one of the lot of patterns of Ersatz or test helmets. They are often confounded with the very few patterns that are really have been worn in such hot countries, even in some specialized books...

Here is another "Versuchshelm" from my own collection, probably produced between 1905 and 1914. However, it has never been worn in Afrika, Palestina or China....

Philippe
;)

lehr1.JPGlehr2.JPGlehr8.JPGlehr5.JPGlehr11.JPGlehr10.JPGessai17.JPGessai18.JPG

It is truly a nice looking helmet .
But ... the spike rivets look to be repro.
The split rivets under side are thin thin.
The color of the rivets matches the ball perfectly as well as the plate.
Maybe all of the furniture has been repainted

It is truly a nice looking helmet .
But ... the spike rivets look to be repro.
The split rivets under side are thin thin.
The color of the rivets matches the ball perfectly as well as the plate.
Maybe all of the furniture has been repainted
My concern was the rivets as well, but others have mentioned how they're ok. The paint I believe is period however. Once I get this in hand as I'm still waiting on delivery, I will post some much clearer and detailed pictures. Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate that.

Philippe,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question and provide a fascinating example. The covers for the vents on the front and the elongated vents on the spike are unique and very German to me. It looks like the spike screws on and off, am I correct?
Thanks again,
John

Philippe,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question and provide a fascinating example. The covers for the vents on the front and the elongated vents on the spike are unique and very German to me. It looks like the spike screws on and off, am I correct?
Thanks again,
John
John,

The spike screws off in only one piece. I was told, such "Versuchshelme" have been worn by only three "test" units:

- the Lehr Infanterie Bataillon in Berlin, geographic center of the Reich (very special unit that tested all sorts of new equipments, uniforms, weapons, but also fight tactics and strategies)
- the Grenadier Regiment 3 in Königsberg, in the very east region of the Reich
-the KJR145 in Metz (Königs-Infanterie Regiment), in the very west region of the Reich

Here a very rare pict of 17 such helmets, as they were introduced 1906 in the KJR145 with the new Felduniform:

casque d´essai.jpg
test.jpg
test1.jpg
Philippe
;)

Last edited:
Back