Cap Kokarden & M-56 Helmet

Greetings Gentlemen,

Looking for a split-pin Reichskokarden to adorn a repro Donald Duck style sailors cap, on which I've had sewn an original cap tally from the S.M.S. Goeben, the heavy battle cruiser described in Barbara Tuchman's masterpiece: The Guns of August. I did purchase a supposedly original example from a vendor, but upon delivery I discovered the white portion of the kokarde is taupe in colour, a condition, so the the vendor tells me, resulting from the effect of ultraviolet light on the lacquer. Have you encountered this, & more to the point: where might I find a proper, original, red, white, & black counterpart ??

Being a forum dealing with general topics relative to militaria, one more question if you please: I recently purchased an M-56 helmet, dated 1980, complete with a tropical field cover (i.e. with a detachable flap covering the back of the neck). Might this have been made for export to southeast Asia, or for use by East German advisors in Africa, as common at that time ? Peter Sucii suggested that it may have been used by the Turkish armed forces.

Many thanks,
Barry

Back