Changes to the Forum

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Just a heads up to everyone. As we have discussed, we need to update and modernize our platform here. As such, I have purchased a membership from a provider called XenForo on recommendation from our tech support Joel. Joel will be moving the forum to their system shortly. I will try and give advance warning as to when this work will take place. Naturally, the forum will probably not be accessible for a short period of time. Hopefully, this will eliminate the problems that we have been experiencing.

Good news Brian!

I am a member of our national motorcycle forum too, they use XenForo too.
If I recall this correct I previously mentioned that too here on our forum. It works perfectly.
Never experienced any problem whatsoever with it. And you can post photo's from your computer directly, and they stay online forever.
Thanks for the heads up on this!

Greetings, Coert. :thumb up:

That’s great news Brian. Thanks to you and Joel for maintaining our daily ‘fix’ of pickelhauben

Ok, I have heard from Joel, his plan is to move the forum on either this coming Friday or Saturday. So we can expect the forum to be down either of those days.

Migration has been completed (a day early no less, went surprisingly smoothly).

I've checked and everything seems to be working as far as I can tell (including photo uploading) but do let me know if you hit any issues.

I did‘t know XenForo, but I thank you very much for the quick migration. I think I can get used to it.
Is it possible to change the Layout, that it looks a bit more like the good old Forum to avoid homesickness? ;)

I did‘t know XenForo, but I thank you very much for the quick migration. I think I can get used to it.
Is it possible to change the Layout, that it looks a bit more like the good old Forum to avoid homesickness? ;)

Certainly something I'll be experimenting with - want to get a good balance between the old and the new ideally.

WOW! what a superb Forum layout! Brian told us it was coming but I had no idea it would look this good. Many ,many thanks to Brian and Joel for al their hard work. I will never get over this Forum: incredibly educational, endlessly informative and now all those wonderful photographs will no longer be under threat. Let us know the membership fees soon Brian, you (and the Forum) are already worth more than whatever it turns out to be!
Best regards,
Steve😀

Thanks a lot for the quick change to XenForo! It looks exactly like I know it from my other forum I visit everyday.
So getting used to it is easy for me. I just got back from work so only read this message regarding the change, will check out other topics soon, this evening. @JoelNichols , you can do a lot with XenForo, but you probably found that out to. We have a choice of some color backgrounds for instance.

Thanks a lot for your work for us!

Greetings, Coert.:)(y)

Wow guys, fantastic and so fast! Must admit I'm a fan of the new layout. Congrats on all your hard work.
All the best
Jeremy

Wow! What a difference!! That was super quick Joel thank you so much :) A minor request.....if possible could we get our old militaria based emojis back?

Ok Neil, we will add that to the "to do list" and try to provide a simple step by step tutorial on how to post photos. If I can do it, anyone can! I mean, I was alive when the first digital calculators came out....can you say Texas Instruments??;)

Not an abacus James, I am not thaaaaat old! However, they did start me off on my printing using a straight nib pen and a bottle of ink!! Ball point pens were universally used but our teachers thought that these promoted sloppy penmanship! Consequently, us young ones had to start with Victorian writing methods! There was no problem though, as the school was built turn of the century (1900's), our lift top desks were bolted to the floor in rows and they all had inkwells! Ahhh... the good old days when gas was .35 an Imperial Gallon! :)

Back