Changes to the Forum

Wow! What a difference!! That was super quick Joel thank you so much :) A minor request.....if possible could we get our old militaria based emojis back?
Absolutely - will see about getting those back shortly.

The circle shape for avatar/profile photos cuts out part of each photo. Is it possible to have a square or rectangular shape?

patrick

Yes Brian, I can say Texas Instruments but I will go you one better. I earned my engineering degree using a slide rule--a Post Versalog.

The circle shape for avatar/profile photos cuts out part of each photo. Is it possible to have a square or rectangular shape?

patrick
Hi Patrick

Just gone ahead and changed it so the avatars are now rounded squares - hopefully that's a bit better.

Must comment on the slide rule - shows our age....

When I first joined the field artillery we had a computer (glorified HP41C calculator) for computing bearings but still used "graphical firing tables" (slide rules) for range. Eventually an upgrade allowed the calculator to do range. Now of course it's very much better including precision projectiles (Excalibur) that are extremely accurate.

When we did quick actions (deploying a gun battery quickly while moving) we used our "check map" (1;50,000 map with a whiz wheel - plastic circle with bearing and a range arm - for range and bearing) and it was amazing how quickly we could get off a round.

Okay am I making any Gunners feel nostalgic?

Peter

I think you just click "attach files" and add it. Here's a test picture. My cat on a heat vent. Just had to re-size to make it smaller. Would be good to know the new size guidelines. Yup worked fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1443.jpeg
    IMG_1443.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 6
I think you just click "attach files" and add it. Here's a test picture. My cat on a heat vent. Just had to re-size to make it smaller. Would be good to know the new size guidelines. Yup worked fine.
Image filesize limit was set to 1MB, I've just gone ahead and raised it to 8MB. Might make it higher later but hopefully this is enough for now.

Yes Brian, I can say Texas Instruments but I will go you one better. I earned my engineering degree using a slide rule--a Post Versalog.
Ahhhh...the slide rule, yes I do remember those and have handled them! They are probably in the antique stores now but in truth what a tremendous human invention. Unfortunately, I do not have a Mathematical brain, I am a total "Artsie", my wife loves numbers and thus, she handles the finances. I always used to tease 'engineers' with the phrase...so you drive trains?? :)

Back