Chauchat was not the Worst Machine Gun

Peter_Suciu

I know Gus and I are in agreement on this topic. I've written about it a few times already, but decided to share the latest take on it:

The French Chauchat Was Filled with Problems, But It Was Not the Worst Machine Gun Ever
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/french-chauchat-was-filled-problems-it-was-not-worst-machine-gun-ever-162749

I must say it amazes me how often I've heard the statement "that was the worst machine gun," which is usually just based on "well, that's what I heard or read." Ask for the reason and most people can't explain why they stand by that statement.

Nice article. I don't know about it being the worst - but having owned one -it isn't a BAR. As far as carrying it in the field, it is lighter than a BAR and a little easier to operate (never quite liked the BAR's cocking lever on the left). But when it comes to dependability and firing the BAR has it.

Great article. The pseudo-historians of the history channel on TV has been the biggest manure spreader of fake history.

pickelhauben said:
I read the article .
Ok what is the worst MG ?

The Japanese Type 11 comes to mind. Instead of hopper instead of a magazine or feed. The weapon was unbalanced and prone to jamming.

But I would argue the WORST machine guns were those that didn't get much past the development stage.

One day in the 1980s I was pulled from my Tank Troop to replace a sick Commander in an Armored Car Troop for a Battle Run in a Canadian Armoured Corps competition between the Regiments.

The Armoured Car had a 7.62 mm M1919 Browning MG. My Gunner stripped and serviced that piece of junk for hours, but it jammed EVERY three rounds on the Battle Run.

I was so furious that when we had unloaded, gone green and returned to the staging area I ripped that piece of s**t our of the mount, stood on top of the turret and threw it full force onto the ground. I bent the reciever and the barrel housing.

We told the Weapons Techs it had gotten jammed between the turret and the hull floor.

And I would do it again. I hated that piece of crap :-x

Tony, Were you firing ball or blank ammo? I've fired thousands of rounds from both the 1919 and the M2, I wouldn't have thrown the gun off the vehicle, just who ever set it up. The biggest negative with the browning action is the set up when changing barrels. This has be corrected on the latest generation M2s.

Live fire Battle Run. So ball and trace. I brought my crew with me, watched the supervised the strip assembly, head spacing and timing, and it was text book.

As is typical with all Canadian Governments of that era, they did not replace equipment for decades. The Browning 7.62mm MGs were all worn out and I hated them for the unreliability.

On my Leopard, however, was a Belgian FN MAG 7.62mm C6. That would fire belt after belt after belt until you fried the barrel. But it would never jam.

aicusv said:
Tony, Were you firing ball or blank ammo? I've fired thousands of rounds from both the 1919 and the M2, I wouldn't have thrown the gun off the vehicle, just who ever set it up. The biggest negative with the browning action is the set up when changing barrels. This has be corrected on the latest generation M2s.

Did you guy's have Leopard tanks in Canada Tony? I never knew that.
One of my best friends assemled the Turrets for those in the early 80's.
When I was in the service here in the Netherlands I fired the FN Mag too, it was great.
Also fired it from the hip, but being a skinny guy that wasn't easy, only short bursts.

Yes I was a Leopard A3 Commander in the Royal Canadian Dragoons and then the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadian). I lived on a Leopard
for close to 35 years.

coert65 said:
Did you guy's have Leopard tanks in Canada Tony? I never knew that.
One of my best friends assemled the Turrets for those in the early 80's.
When I was in the service here in the Netherlands I fired the FN Mag too, it was great.
Also fired it from the hip, but being a skinny gut that wasn't easy, only short bursts.

Yes we bought Leopards probably 40 years ago right T? German engineering at it’s finest and they were also shipped to Afghanistan as support for our troops if memory serves.

Should the comparisons be made when they are in the same period, if not the same year of service? AND in the same role that they were used in or designed for? WWI is an incredible example of assessing the differences between 1914 and 1918, in almost everything!

Back