Chevauleger NCO Helmet

Hi Guys!

I would like to share my latest find with you. I bought it on ebay, and it's a late privately owned example dated from 1916. The maker is "Hans Römer" Neu Ulm, dated 1916, so I would say one of the last.. The owners name is "Wimmer Jos.(eph), which is quite a common name in Bayern.

The helmet is issued with brass parts. The chinstraps appear to match the helmet. Could it be that NCO's during wartime wore these chinstraps? In Bowman part II there is a similar officers example with these chinstraps.

The helmet came with one Kokarde, however I am not sure what size of Kokardes belong to this helmet. Can you help me out?

O yes, and the fluted spike is missing, so if anyone can spare one?

Any idea what a complete helmet does on the market?

Many thanks for your comments!

Marcel

20100305_0053.jpg

20100305_0054.jpg

20100305_0055.jpg

20100305_0059.jpg

20100305_0057.jpg

20100305_0060.jpg

20100305_0060.jpg

Romer makes some nice helmets. I don't really have any info for you, but thanks for posting the photos! That's the first time I've seen a front visor trim broken like that without damaging the daylights out of the visor... Interesting.

:D Ron

From my point of view, but I don't have the helmets in hands, it's a EM helmet, I don't see a NCO buying an helmet in 1916 .... Now if there are no ordonnance marks, that's normal at that time of the war, the EM hypothesis makes the EM chin strap consistent with the helmet, Have a great day, Stephane

Hi Marcel, I do not get your point. Why did you even suppose that this is a NCO helmet??? This is a typical enlisted man helmet. Why NCO???

In Bowman II a similar one is marked as 'NCO', that with the fact that it is privately purchased in midwar time.

But looking at the leather interior I suppose you are right that it isn't an NCO example!

Did'nt NCOs carry the same helmets as EM? The only difference as I understood would be the cockades, with NCOs of the "Unteroffizier mit Portepee" ranks carrying the same cockades as seen on some private purchase OYV helmets. An NCO in this rank would also use chinscales in peacetime but in 1916 a leather chin strap seems perfectly OK.

Maybe it would be more appropriate to simply call the helmet an OR (other ranks) piece without distinguishing between EM or NCO?

vonkluck14 said:
// In Bowman II a similar one is marked as 'NCO', that with the fact that it is privately purchased in midwar time. //

Marcel, do yourself a favour. Take that book outside, and throw it as far as you can in any direction. You will be better off.

According to geniuses like Bowman, every helmet that has round Perlrings on the spike neck are "NCO" when that is completely incorrect. All Bavarian Chevaulegers and Artillerie Mannschaften wore round Perlrings on the spike neck right up until 1918. Same for Preußen Dragoner.

dbh41.jpg

fgh42.jpg

Tony, is there a difference between NCO and EM at all? I thought that Marcels helmet would fit for both. BTW those are two very nice helmets, particularly the M15!

Here are two more bavarian EM helmets, to confirm what Tony wrote. Both are marked to the 8th bavarian artillery regiment.

teteou043.jpg

Robert said:
Tony, is there a difference between NCO and EM at all?

Not for an issued Pickelhaube. All soldiers up to and including the rank of Sergeant wore the Mannschaften helmet with the standard issue Mannschaften Kokarde. Senior NCOs at the level of Vizefeldwebel and Feldwebel also wore a standard issue Pickelhaube but with the 'Unteroffizier mit Portepee' Kokarde.

Not for an issued Pickelhaube. All soldiers up to and including the rank of Sergeant wore the Mannschaften helmet with the standard issue Mannschaften Kokarde. Senior NCOs at the level of Vizefeldwebel and Feldwebel also wore a standard issue Pickelhaube but with the 'Unteroffizier mit Portepee' Kokarde.
You are so right Tony! Here are a few other haubes...

Enlisted (also produced by Hans Römer in 1915)

Senior NCO private purchase

Those are really beautiful helmets guys!!

I assumed that "my" helmet was privately purchased as it is fitted with copper parts (in mid-war), and the name of the owner/user is painted under the front visor, this last fact not being the case if helmets were issued, or is this a false assumption?

O yes, I still miss the fluted spike, any spares available..?

Back