Chevauleger

cooky

First posting on this excellent forum. I was not sure whether to use latest finds or Restoration, as Pickelhaube is in bits and needing a little work, plus some items (oh dear), I have started here.

bay p 2.jpgbay p 1.jpg

The above was bought from KPEmig in Germany at Christmas. Neckguard is nicely impressed 4CHR 1E ( 4th Chevaulegers 1st Eskadron), so neusilber fittings correct.
What puzzled me were the 3 holes where the side post is secured, everything I have seen told me to steer clear, there being ' no fool like an old fool' I bought it. By chance while looking at Pickelhaube sold in Ratisbones November 2019 auction I spotted the following Pickelhaube, similar Pickelhaube (perhaps different regiment) with post secured via 3 holes.

ch 7.jpgch 1.jpg

Advice from any members would be welcome.
Also many thanks to Brian for sorting out pc problem

cooky said:
// What puzzled me were the 3 holes where the side post is secured, everything I have seen told me to steer clear, there being ' no fool like an old fool' I bought it. //

You are no fool. That is absolutely correct. Bayern Cavalry M96 chinscale posts are secured with three prongs. There is no hole in the center like all the other contingents.

Despite 30+ years of collecting, I did not know that,! Very glad your problem is solved Stephen. :thumb up:

Thanks for comments.
Not a lot to do to the Pickelhaube really. Following the advice given on the tutorials by Brian and others I will attempt to straighten the visor and, to a smaller degree, right hand side of neckguard.
The visor has curled under, that seems to be a good description, which has allowed the trim to appear too small, although it is deformed.

b9.jpgb7.jpg

I have take the Pickelhaube apart, deformed visor trim can be seen below, and have began cleaning process of metal parts/furniture, these still need a polish.
b8.jpgb5.jpg

I was pleased to learn about the sideposts, I can buy neusilberish ( alpaca) ones from Germany for 30 Euros and adapt them, they will do for now.
Fluted neusilber spikes are a problem, repro ones are available in Europe, a number of brass ones (original) are being advertised, I will give it some thought.

A good start, I have not had much luck in straightening visors without taking them off the shell. I have only been able to do so when the visor itself needed a restitch. original neusilber parts of any kind are hard to find as there were far fewer Regts with silver buttons and hauben.

Back