Chevaux-Leger opinion before purchase

aterrasse

Dear All,

I have identified my new purchase but would love to have your opinion on this piece. From my research this helmet must for an oficer of the Bayern Chevaux-leger for reg. 2, 4, 6 or 8. The dome is made of that unique light-weight and thin leather found on some private purchase.

All looks OK to me. What do you expert think?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Alex

NB. THE FOLLOWING PICTURES BELONG TO THE AGES OF KINGS MILITARIA

Chev_Leger1.jpg

Chev_Leger2.jpg

Chev_Leger3.jpg

Chev_Leger6.jpg

I was mightily impressed as well. A very beautiful helmet. Even if the price is sometimes more than you would like to pay, you can never go wrong buying quality pieces like this one.
Steve

A very beautiful helmet in pristine condition!! Congratulations. I would also like to mention the spike top which to me is the Bavarian version of what I like to call the Prussian fashion spike....taller than normal and with a very fine point. These are rare. Larcade mentions these in vol 1 of his work Casques a Pointe. The height of the fashion spike became a problem and the General Staff had to pass a regulation restricting the height of officers' spikes in order to stop this fashionable craze. Small hands but tall spike!! Typical male testosterone over load! Brian

Randy and I talked about this one tonight. It is not fiber. It is leather, not restored, and about half the weight of a normal helmet. Looks like a superfine helmet to me. Lots of these Bavarian helmets have a very high quality leather. Now as far as telling one branch of Bavarian from another...

Back