Chilean Pickelhauben

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I got this link from Carlos today. Some of you newer collectors may not know this but the pickelhaube is very much alive in Chile. Here is the link and click on the dancing shark when you get there:www.escuelamilitar.cl

Some of the pics shown of recruits are very similar to WW1 ones that many of us collect. As Carlos states, it is like a time warp down there, time has stood still. Carlos also informs me that there are many Chileans of German heritage in the ranks of the Chilean army. There is no doubt from the pictuires that they take great pride in their pickelhauben! Brian

I'm told that Chile is now (with the demise of East Germany) the only place in the world where the old Prussian traditions live on. Apparently, every year during their National Day there is a huge military parade, where the cadets of the military academy parade in Prussian-style uniforms, with pickelhaubes, Stechschritt, old imperial marches, and all. My ambition is to go down there someday and see this for myself. Take a look at the following photos of a recent parade. Unfortunately, the photos are small, but that's the actual size of the photos on the Chilean Army website. So take out your magnifying glass, and be ready to be amazed.

The helmets that the members of the marching band are wearing are likely plastic too. From what I've read the Chileans actually use an American style Kevlar helmet, but for the parades like the old Germanic look.

I managed to buy one of these parade helmets a few years ago:
chile_big1.jpg

Back