Cockades for your opinion

Did you put a black light on them ?

I saw these on ebay and that transparency of the coloring was a turn off for me.

That and there looks like paint dirt floating in the dried paint when the white and green was applied .

These appear to be punched from the outside in instead of the inside out.
The lip on the center hole should open outward and not be folded in.
What State is this? White, green, black is unfamiliar to me.

John :???:

SkipperJohn said:
These appear to be punched from the outside in instead of the inside out.
The lip on the center hole should open outward and not be folded in.
What State is this? White, green, black is unfamiliar to me.

John :???:

John, the white, green, black is for Sachsen-Weimar

At least they look repainted to me and they lack the typical scratches caused by the chinstrap and side posts on the helmet caused by wearing.

Regards,

Edwin

poniatowski said:
When did they start punching out replica cockades? I don't remember seeing any before 1980.

:D Ron

That's a good question. I know that some of the replicas made in Britain in the 1970's had stamped cockades. They were usually larger than an original and they were quite often mounted on the outside of the chinscales instead of on the inside, next to the shell.

Many of the more "popular" reproductions made now have that familiar inward folded lip that is seen on those above. These are steel and are very easy to fake and age because they rust so readily. One sure way to tell one of these new repro's is the weight. They weigh about three times as much as an original. You can feel the difference in weight just by holding them in your hand.

John :)

Norm Flayderman had the dies made up in the late sixties early seventies. He had acquired a cache of Prussian M95s that were missing the cockades. I'm guessing he also had dies made for the chinstrap fittings as well, but am only sure of the cockades. I knew a dealer in New Hampshire in the eighties that ended up with the dies for the cockades, that's how I know about them.

Steve

Back