Colonel Ron's war room

joerookery

Just getting back to my e-mails after the retirement weekend. Colonel Ron sent permission to post these pictures of his tiny little collection.
War%20room.jpg
That may want to wake you up on a Monday morning.
Warroom1.jpg
But remember his last set of pictures? Buried behind the chair is a Saxe Weimar Filz gray metal helmet that maybe we can convince him to get more pictures of.
Warroom2.jpg

Hey Otto and Max,
Let's go to uncle Ron's house, I get dibs on the Vickers.
Gus
PS Otto "I get dibs on" means "I claim"

Otto,
You are a wise man, there is enough to go around.
K-B,
We will meet you there.
Gsu

Yes, very nice items, but the photographs.... :roll: Would like very much to enjoy better and closer photos some day. Who is Col Ron?

Tony & Kaiser said:
Yes, very nice items, but the photographs.... :roll: Would like very much to enjoy better and closer photos some day. Who is Col Ron?

Hi Tony,
Colonel Ron is our 22th registered member.
Otto

Fantastic collection, so that is where all those rare frontplates have been hiding. Makes my display cabinet look a bit inadequate.

Assuming that funds are not unlimited, is it still possible to build a collection like this. Or have the prices escalated so far that it is out of the reach of mortal man.

I see some helmets there that would benefit from some very handsome solid oak helmet stands!

Mike

The collection in my "war room" started in 1970 when I was stationed in Germany. My first helmet (which I still have) was a 7th Dragoon EM helmet. At its peak, the helmet collection numbered well over 100 helmets. Conflicting collecting interests (I am an avid collector/accumulater of British Victorian medals), funds and space have resulted in the collection as it stands today.

Ron

Hey Colonelron,
The trucking crew can make more room for your Victorian medals, the Vickers is not Victorian. Nice collection.
Gus

Fantastic collection!!! Congratulations!!! Our truck is on the way, we'll be here soon without guns but with some good beers and wines... and some "cagoles" so as to make your house clean with pleasure and without fight. It's a joke, Otto and Gus will perhaps give to you a little explanation.
Welcome here!

Maxime

Ah yes, the Vickers. It is part of the WW1 theme I was doing at one time and there is a Maxim and Hotchkiss to go with them. I was hosting some visitors from the UK MOD in my government days and when I took them for a tour of the collection, I found that my wife had been using the vickers to dry some laundry. Thus grew the British legend of the "American Vickers Towel Drying Rack". The yellow on the Vicker water jacket is from the guns desert service and it goes with the arabic writing that was not visible in the picture. The gun was manufactured in 1918 and eventually found its way to Egypt where it finished its life as a drill gun in the late 1950's. I like to think it had its final active service in the North Africa campaigns.

The collection is well guarded by my two Old English Sheepdogs who only accept bribes or trades in beef (they do not accept credit cards!)

Ron

Back