Compare the Felt Haubes

cliffn

I don't know much about the felt haubes. Here are 2, from 2 different sellers. Are they real and if so. Why so different.

1) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6611178272&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
I believe is real. Also real nice.

2) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6611882902&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
Looks nice enough. But, I don't know.

Your thoughts please.
Cliff

Hi Cliff,
There were many different makers of the felt helmets, and several different patterns, the first is a nice M1915 Ersatz, from what I can see, it looks real, just a little damage on the front visor and lacking one Kockard. The second is a M1895 version with out trim (I have one, but the edge is not rolled like this one) I can not say if it is totally correct as I have not seen any with such and edge up close. You need to go to Tony's site and look at the different variations of the felt helmets that he has.
Gus

Hey Cliff,
After thumbing through all of Tony's felt helmets, I did not see one with a rolled edge, and as a person who wears a felt hat nearly all the time, I will not buy a hat that has that type of an edge on the brim as it is a sign of a "soft" felt. I do not know for sure, but I do not like the looks of the brim, I am sure some one will chime in with evidence to prove me wrong, because if I am honest, the helmet looks good to me. How is that for a waffle.
Gus

Gustaf said:
How is that for a waffle.
Not bad, but you can do better Gus. The rolled edge version is one pattern I do not have in a Pickelhaube. I had one in an Ersatz Filz Tschako, but traded it to Peter (Ersatz Junge). If I was not otherwise hopelessly committed to paying off an idiotically huge purchase, I would be bidding on that rolled edge example. If you look veeeery closely at examples in any number of ref books by Larcade, Hermann etc, you will see the tell-tale stitch marks of this rolled-edge manufacturer in both Pickelhaube and Tschako.

Heck Tony,
I figgured that if you ain't got it, it ain't real. Thanks for chiming in.
Gus

I've made a mistake... In place to write I have I should have wrote I had... and I had not one but two. I sell some of my felt helmets on ebay more than a year ago because need of money... and I didn't remember exactly wich one I sell... But I have always the pictures from those helmets. The problem is that I don't know how I can insert pictures in the forum... If you tell me I will do it.

I find the solution in the "help" forum. Here are the pictures from the inside of the two helmets.

cpteprussefeutre1c8zi.jpg

cpteprussefeutre2c5ec.jpg

I also have a rolled rim filz helme. Baden with brass fittings. I believe that there is a pic of the interior of this helme on Joes' web site. I am hurt T....you have handled this one and forgotten...sigh. (Ha Ha!!). I also feel that this is a good piece to bid on. Brian

b.loree said:
I also have a rolled rim filz helme. Baden with brass fittings// I am hurt T....you have handled this one and forgotten...sigh.
Uh.....this was after we drank 5 litres of red wine Brian.... I barely remember you during my visit. :drunken:

But yea, these are not common. I would still like to get one; perhaps later this year.

Well Chaps,

I ended up winning both of these felt ersatz helmets. The rolled-edge helmet has arrived - it is all correct, named, and in very nice condition. The felt at the rolled edge is a little thicker than othr flts I have owned.

Mike

Mike

That is a super nice felt! I was just getting ready to bid on it & it was gone. Silly me, I never even noticed the "Buy it Now" button :)

Nice score... Would like to to see a photo of your Filtz examples sometime.

Pete

Pete,

Unfortunately the buy it now option disappeared after the first bid was placed, so I am guilty of cutting a deal with the seller.

The helmet is in particularly nice shape , no deformation of the crown or the peaks. The liner in excellent condition, without the wear you usually see on this thin-type leather. Unfortunately, the drawstring is missing and it has torn the ends of most of the liner tongues.

The spike and wappen are of the 'chemically-darkened' type, like you see on the steel erstaz helmets.

Mike

Back