Connecting the Dots

A

Anonymous

Sunday, I started separate "Period Photograph" threads involving Garde Ulan and Garde Infanterie subjects. Actually, these distinct branches of service become one in the person of Gustav Schrader. I can't tell you much about Schrader. He was attached to the First Eskadron of the Second Garde Ulanen Regiment as far back as 1894. His rank was Gefreiter, in 1897, when he was awarded the Wilhem I Centenary Medal (I have both his medal and framed Urkunde). Schrader's active service was apparently completed in 1901, when he received this post card from his old unit (addressed to him in care of a Margarine Factory in Hilter, Osnabrück).

2-GUR.jpg

2-GUR-Karte.jpg

Images of Gefreiter Schrader:

2Schrader.jpg

Close-up: again, orthochromatic film stock of the period was not sensitive to yellow. This is why the collar Litzen appears to be dark gray.

3Schrader.jpg

Schrader with, possibly, his father (left) and a sibling (right).

1Schrader.jpg

Some personal effects: the lid of a strong box.

PICT0461.jpg

And this I find particularly sad:

PICT0459.jpg

However, the story doesn't end here. Schrader was apparently still obligated to the military at the time he posed for this:

Litzen.jpg

Garde-CDV.jpg

Though he doesn't look significantly older, for whatever reasons, he renewed his military service in the Garde Infanterie.

His is a history that will probably never be more complete than what you've just read.

Special thanks to George Anderson, from whom I purchased this collection.

Chas.

Hi Otto:

I apologize for the quality of these pictures. Because of the glass, the lighting was not the best. You can see Schrader wearing this very medal in the photograph above.

Chas.

PICT0463.jpg

PICT0464.jpg

Interesting Garde haube that he is wearing Chas. Not officer...I do not see pearl ring and the visor trim is wider than the regulation officer. Probably private purchase and his father and brother look middle class. No rank button on the Garde uniform collar either. That is one hell of a glass of beer and why do the two civilians have sprigs of flowers/heather in their lapels?? This grouping really deserves further research Chas. Excellent!! Man if only these fotos could tell the story. Brian

Hi Brian:

Yes, it would appear Schrader's military career took a step backward when he transferred from the Ulanen to the Infanterie. There is nothing to indicate Reserve, Landwehr, or Landsturm, status from his Picklehaube. He is clearly older, and his face a bit rounder, but he appears to be little more than a recruit in private purchase accoutrément.

The Tresse on his 2. G.U.R. collar and cuffs indicate an even higher rank than Gefreiter (though, no collar rank discs are present).

What exactly transpired is a mystery for the ages.

Chas.

Back