Correct Troddeln for Gebirgs MG Abteilung 236?

seitengewehr98

Hello fellow Imperial German collectors!! I have yet to enter into the world of Pickelhauben collecting. I still don't feel comfortable with my knowledge of them, and for some reason I'm having a heck of a time finding a basic, enlisted Prussian M.1915 in nice and complete shape, perhaps with some unit markings.

So my collecting of Imperial German bayos continues.

I recently won a very interesting example: An S84/98nAS (for those not familiar with the nomenclature, this is a WWI era bayo that is almost exactly like WWII era German bayos, but in this case finished bright and with a sawback blade).

It's an early example, Erfurt, dated W15. Nothing too exciting yet, BUT, on the crossguard, it is marked G.M.G.A.236.127. For the longest time, Jeff Noll and I fumbled with the notion that it was some kind of Garde Maschinengewehr Abteilung marking. Since, however, there was only Garde MGA 1 and 2, it didn't quite make sense. After a little research (thanks to Joe Robinson's outstanding article on "Scroll" helmets), I finally figured out that it was marked to the GEBIRGS MG Abteilung!! A wonderfully rare and interesting regimental marking!

But now I want to know what the proper bayonet troddel to accompany this fine bayonet would be. The Gebirgs MGA 236 was a Prussian unit, so of course a Prussian NCO knot would work, but I am wondering what a lower enlisted soldier would wear.

Any ideas out there???

Thanks!!

I'm still looking into this. As you may know, the Prussian G.M.G.A. wore Jäger green (graugrün) uniforms, so it is possible that they wore Jäger green bayonet knots as well. If that would be the case, the regular Prussian NCO knot would be incorrect, as an NCO would wear and Oberjäger knot. Until we know for sure, this is just speculation, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

The G.M.G.A normally had three companies, so company knots may have made sense. I will let you know if I can find anything. I have already read Kraus and he does not mention bayonet knots for these troops.

Another thought would be that these guys tended to wear pistols, so they may not have even worn bayonets!

Chip

Hello Chip.

Well, I stumbled across this wonderful article on "Scroll" Pickelhauben by Joe Robinson:

http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Scroll_helmets.html

As you can see, there are a few photos of Gebirgs MGA troops and they are clearly wearing EM Kompagnie troddeln. There is one example where the stem of the troddeln shown is clearly lighter, most likely white for 1st batallion (and the slide and crown look to be blue). In another photo, the stem is darker, possibly blue for 13th MG co.

So it would seem for certain that they wore these EM Kompagnie troddeln, but the actual structure of these units and what the proper knot to hang off of my GMGA 236 example still eludes me.

Regardless, when it comes to regimental markings, especially on bayos, it doesn't get much more interesting or scarce than this!

Back