Could be my latest find

derekb

Good Day Everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase this pickelhaube and would welcome your opinions and advice.

Inside the helmet in white paint is; Fs AR 9
II B
1899 (faint)
6 B
II
There is also the remains of a small paper label inside the helmet.

Thanks and regards,

Derek.
Also on the rear peak there is what appears to have been written "Dieber" or Dreber".
Thanks and regardsView attachment 4View attachment 3View attachment 2View attachment 1

Great markings......looks fine to me, except for the fact that the rear spine has a slider vent. I believe pre war arty helmets usually do not have a vented spine.

Gentlemen, This is from the French reference book: Uniformes HS N°31:

1895 marks a revolution in the field of equipment of the German soldier. It has been 40 years that a reform of this magnitude had taken place. Equipment and uniform are modernised. A.K.O. of 25 May 1895 orders to modernise the Pickelhaube as well. In reality, it is mainly a confirmation of the 1891 principles and application of new fabrication techniques. The helmet dome is a bit lower and more cylindrical than the one of the 1887 and 1891 pattern. The Knopf 91 chinstrap sidepost will be preserved. A new fixation system for the Wappen is introduced: U-shaped metal brackets on the back of the Wappen replaced the bolt pins on the Mannsch helmets. In fact this system was already used in Bavaria since 1845. From then on the holes in the helmetshell-for lodging this U-shaped Brackets-are strengthened by metal eyelets. The rear spine for Fusstruppen and Train is equipped with a sliding air vent; a small hole is punched/drilled in the back of the helmetshell at the position of this sliding air vent. The base of the spike now has five ventilation holes.

-1895: The helmets of the Fusstruppen; only these-it seems-are then equipped with the rear spine with a sliding air vent-the so-called "Lüftungsschieber", with a small nipple for a better grip. It is an additional ventilation opening to the holes in the base of the helmets spike. This explains why the vast majority of helmets for the Feldartillerie features a rear spine Mod 1891 without the sliding air vent; while the Fussartillerie was equipped with the Mod 1895 type spine with the sliding air vent. Some Model 1915 Feldartillerie spines can be found without air vent. However: not all men of the FAR were mounted. These men would have to wear a helmet with sliding air vent…For sure: not an easy mission for the “Kammer”-the Battery Quarter Masters Store.

Certain helmets with the sliding vent wear the original “FAR” or “AR” markings in accordance with the regulations. Quite in contrast, however, 1903: Prussian Train units: mounted; will addopt the infantry helmet, with the rear spine...with the sliding air vent.

Francis

Scientific research: 8)

? Does the Pickelhaube with the airvent in the rear spine :-" like a water kettle....?
We need a vollunteer to test this: horseback-motorcycle-quad-cabrio... :-? Forrest Gump ??

Is this the reason the rear spine with airvent was for foottroops only !!!

Francis

Thanks for clearing that up Francis. My M 95 OR Arty helme marked AR 19 has no vent. My M 15 Arty helme marked W.F.s A.R. 7. has no vent either. Both of these are Feld Artillerie units. Fus Artillerie 19 is a Saxe unit, so there can be no mistake concerning the AR 19 marked helme. Joe can we get those markings from Derek's new helmet?

Here is a shot of my 70th FAR helmet. Helmet is dated 1913
70FARrear_zps919bd172.jpg

I often wondered how much that rear spine vent actually did work. Certainly it helped eliminate moisture, but I can't imagine it helping cool one's head very much. The steel M1 helmet with the Riddell type suspension never stopped me from sweating on hot days, and I can't imagine a Pickelhaube being very cool to wear in any hot weather.

:D Ron

Back