Crimean War Egyptian Cavalry - Khedive Body Guard

JohnM

Together again after a long separation. My profound thanks to Chris Flaherty who helped me identify my mystery cuirass.

John - in a word WOW! I am fortunate enough that last year I was offered a Khedive Body Guard helmet. Mine is unfortunately missing the "feathers" on the top of the arrow and I hired a friend to replicate it. A year on and he is still at it

Seeing your helmet and cuirass, well, that's amazing! One of the highlights of my trip to Cairo a few years ago was seeing the Khedive's palace from the outside. It is now a museum but unfortunately time did not permit and we had those pyramids to see! :D

The history of the Khedive is a fascinating one. These helmets and cuirass were made in France I believe.

Cheers,
Peter

Thank you for the kind words Peter!

Ah, Cairo, on my list of places to see one day.

If you are still in the City we have to get together for coffee!

If your friend needs my helmet to model something off of I would be happy to let you borrow it.

I may need him to craft me a cheekpiece!

John

My eternal gratitude to you Chris, for your help and your fantastic knowledge of Ottoman/ Turkish militaria! I was absolutely lost without your guidance!

I am very grateful and proud to put back together a piece of history.

John

Thank you for sharing this! :thumb up: Chris is amazing but there is no way I would ever figure this one out on my own. The reference is amazing =D>

Our cruise to the Crimea in September 2015 has been canceled. :thumbsdown: Seems like there is too much turmoil. Last year the British historians were turned away. Someone's losing a few tourist bucks and I was hoping to see some of this in the museum there. :-({|=

Well that is an impressive cuirras
Nice to see a difrent one besides a french or german one

Jonas

Back