Crisp Wurttemburg Officer w/storage case

ww1czechlegion

I was very lucky to stumble onto this piece last September. It has been a long dry spell since I have aquired a nice officer helmet, and I aquired a total of three last fall. I've had 2-other Wurttemburg officer helm's in the past, but nothing as nice as this one, it's a keeper! I believe this one is a Line Infantry Officer. The case is in nice shape, complete w/the straps intact. I only wish the helmet or case were named.

A couple of odd points about the helmet are that the officer retainer stars are exceptionally large, approximately ? twice as big as I've normally seen. The spike base neck is also a lot taller than normally seen (spike is also removeable). And the chinscale width from top to bottom is also a bit more petite or narrower.

Any advice on how to get the white film off the exterior shell? Or should I just leave it alone? Apparently it will come off, as my thumbnail scratched a bit off on the backside. Some insects found the green & red lining under the visors to be tasty a long time ago, as they chewed a couple spots. Liner is in good shape, just a bit dirty from use/hair oil.

Alan

Another great helmet.....you certainly lucked out on these! Again contact me and I will tell you how to get rid of the white film. Brian

Beautiful example. Good for you. :thumbright:

I have seen these big honkin retainer stars before. Seemed like a manufacturer issue, as it has no meaning. Like the spike height, might have been a fashion issue. Great helmet, well owrth getting the white crud off it, if its mould, you have to get it off.

Alan,

Big stars thing is a good question. I have heard a lot of hypotheses that revolve around the rank of wearer. big stars= field grade officers or big stars= general officers. None of these ideas really hold up to examination.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. Looking forward to the S.O.S. and seeing everyone who will be able to be there!!!

Alan

Back