Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm, 1872

Larmo

Hi Guys

Recently purchased this set from the Big Bay and I couldn't be happier with it. As you can see it is a very clear, CDV sized image of His Royal Highness, The Crown Prince of Germany. His likeness was taken by the Royal House Photographer L.Hasse & Co of Berlin. On the reverse of the image is the signature of the Prince Freidrich Wilhelm, though sadly marred a bit from being glued into an album.

What adds to the mix is the short letter written by Count Seckendorf to Lord Coventry, dated 13th July 1872, New Palace Potsdam. The text presents the enclosed photograph with the compliments of his Imperial Highness to the Lord Coventry.The quality of the image is crystal clear and my photographic skills do not do it justice.

I have always admired the Crown Prince and feel that his tragic, brief reign of three months in 1888, is an example of the odd twists of fate and history. He passed at the age of 56 from incurable cancer of the larynx and had little time to influence the direction of the German State and Government. Had he lived, his liberal and benign influence may have had a calming effect and allowed time for maturity to be instilled in his son and heir, Emperor Wilhelm II. We will never know, but it's always interesting to ponder the might-have-beens.

Larry

king1w.jpg
king5.jpg

king3f.jpg
king4.jpg

Fantastic score!! :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

wpe79908.jpg

Sepia toned poster of Frederick in Gd du Corps uniform. His famous saying is on the bottom which has great significance to us handicapped types ...."Learn to suffer without complaining."

The treatment of this crown prince's throat malady is one of the more vituperative pre-war dramas I have read. The camp of German doctors that wanted early risky surgery and the British expert, supported by Vicky, who opposed it until it was too late. Death came slowly to an emperor who could not speak.

Back