CRUSHED !!!

Brian,
Excellent work! You have a unique talent for the work you do and I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge with other.
Best regards,
John

Glad to help out whenever I can. I have no problem sharing my experience as other members have done as well.

Hi Brian,
Which size thread do you use for sewing in liners, and which size tread do you use for reattaching the visors? I would think that they are different.
Thanks,
John

Good questions John. Buying the right thread to restitch a helmet in general is a large problem when you get into this. I am a dufus regarding trying to understand the information found on the labels of spools of vintage thread. First, it must be 100% cotton, no man made additions. This forces you into the world of vintage thread especially for the OR’s helmets which have a thicker gauge of visor thread . Any modern thread of appropriate thickness is going to have nylon in it, so forget it. EBay is a good source for vintage thread. The thread for officer visors is naturally finer to match the stitching. I will post some pictures of my spool labels. The thread used to stitch in an OR’s liner would be the same as used on the visors. The officer sweat band is tack stitched using a thick white saddle type thread. The officer silk is stitched with a fine 100% cotton thread coloured to match the original as best you can. All thread must be coated in beeswax as you stitch! Any stitching in leather has to be waxed.
When looking for “natural” thread, one would also think of 100% linen. This type of linen thread is still used in vintage/antique book binding and can be tracked down on the net. I have not had much luck with linen, even though I always thought of it as very tough. In my experience using it to stitch visors, it frays and breaks......very frustrating! So not for me. Again, I will post photos of those spool labels . I am sure that our European stitchers will provide more information. 😊

Thanks guys, much appreciated, it will be interesting to see how Heritage Arsenal presents this on their YouTube channel. :)

So the pictures of my vintage thread spools.....wow we are really getting down to the fine points here!
IMG_1903.JPG
Left spool, for officer visors, fine thread, on the right the heavier thread for OR's visors.
IMG_1904.JPG
The back sides...the Dorcas is a 12 cord thread.
IMG_1905.JPG
Two other spools of vintage cotton thread. The thicker vintage threads are the hardest to find as the ladies of the past would have naturally bought finer threads for their clothing repairs. Coats is a famous Brit Company still in production today. The numbers 40 and 10 would suggest that the lower the number, the thicker the thread.

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the information and pictures. I will have to raid my wife's treadle sewing machines to see if any of the old spools of thread are still there.
John

Well John, you will probably find the finer coloured cotton threads there which perhaps could be used to stitch an officer silk back into place but like I said the black thicker thread, not so much.

You can find vintage sewing thread also on etsy.com. It‘s also a good source for antique stuff.

Back