Cuirassier Helmet

Rhys

Is this a genuine article? It looks OK to me but doubts have been expressed especially about the lining.

Attachments

• PXL_20231121_120829168.jpg
    PXL_20231121_120829168.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20231121_120852268.jpg
    PXL_20231121_120852268.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20231121_120906702.jpg
    PXL_20231121_120906702.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20231121_121057909.jpg
    PXL_20231121_121057909.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20231121_121002942.jpg
    PXL_20231121_121002942.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 77
Check for markings under the cocardes, looks good to me, but I’m not sure….
The patina is a bit… I don’t know

It looks good to me too but seems it may been oiled, polished.

Im waiting to see what the experts here have to say....

Is this a genuine article? It looks OK to me but doubts have been expressed especially about the lining.
Could you look for markings on the shell. Beneath the cockades. Unit; size.
Perhaps the makers name in the brass trim od the visor? Thank you.

Be aware that this helmet has an incorrect Preussen Foot Troops eagle, not the correct Kürassier eagle with straight tail feathers.
I agree with Tony,
The cuirassier eagle is the M1860 infantry eagle, chest feathers in a V, lower wings welded to the upper thighs, and Vaterland-Bandeau goes all the way down to the wingtips. In addition, the fastenings are screw and nut.
As for the rest, it looks fine to me.

Attachments

• KR M67    M89-94.jpg
    KR M67 M89-94.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 18
Like this

Not ok. As Tony states: the Wappen Adler is Foot troops. A few red flags. Spike and rivets...

I didn't like the patina of the shell and the green paint on both visors is in correct. I trust the heraldic eagle is original. I wouldn't buy the helmet
No go to me! You are right! Not ok. As Tony states: the Wappen Adler is Foot troops. A few red flags. Spike and rivets...Visor and neckguard paint....

Yes, shape of the spike, green neckguard and the bulge on the backside. This bulge is on the 1867, but not at the 1889.
I am a collector and reenactor. I know these helmets well.

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 20
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 20
aged Copy, made in india

I agree,

I think I mentioned this the last time one of these came up for discussion, I saw one at a show and said something to the "dealer" who thought I was crazy. Sad thing is next time a walked past it was sold.

They are getting better and better with reproductions, and are fooling even experienced collectors and dealers.

COLLECTORS BEWARE.

There are more and more collectors switching to the collecting Imperial German items everyday and the demand is much higher then the supply of ORIGINAL items.

The Prices are rising fast , and the only way to keep up with the demand is with aged reproductions. I see fake chinstraps bringing great money, camo helmets sold everyday on eBay that are bad not to mention felt ersatz shells, and sadly even Cuirassier helmets.

Nothing is safe anymore, I've been saying it for years, one day its gonna be almost impossible to tell the difference and I believe we are getting very close to that day.

I agree,

I think I mentioned this the last time one of these came up for discussion, I saw one at a show and said something to the "dealer" who thought I was crazy. Sad thing is next time a walked past it was sold.

They are getting better and better with reproductions, and are fooling even experienced collectors and dealers.

COLLECTORS BEWARE.

There are more and more collectors switching to the collecting Imperial German items everyday and the demand is much higher then the supply of ORIGINAL items.

The Prices are rising fast , and the only way to keep up with the demand is with aged reproductions. I see fake chinstraps bringing great money, camo helmets sold everyday on eBay that are bad not to mention felt ersatz shells, and sadly even Cuirassier helmets.

Nothing is safe anymore, I've been saying it for years, one day its gonna be almost impossible to tell the difference and I believe we are getting very close to that day.

Well said.

It's easy to see how this could fool some experienced collectors. The protective ridge on the rear of the shell precludes it being an 1889 model, the rear visor paint is a flag, as is the Wappen but even if noticed the paint and the presence of a non regulation Wappen can be explained away.

Frequenting some other forums it's clear that given the current PC climate some 3rd Reich collectors are becoming nervous about potential government intervention adversely impacting their ability to sell or trade their items. Moving to the Imperial era is a logical transition which is only going to drive prices higher, which is always an incentive to the fakers out there.

Well said.

It's easy to see how this could fool some experienced collectors. The protective ridge on the rear of the shell precludes it being an 1889 model, the rear visor paint is a flag, as is the Wappen but even if noticed the paint and the presence of a non regulation Wappen can be explained away.

Frequenting some other forums it's clear that given the current PC climate some 3rd Reich collectors are becoming nervous about potential government intervention adversely impacting their ability to sell or trade their items. Moving to the Imperial era is a logical transition which is only going to drive prices higher, which is always an incentive to the fakers out there.

100%

I've recently heard that Australia is banning the selling of WWII German Items, and a recent auction I watch from there had several General uniforms and tons of WWII items up for sale and the owner of the auction even addressed the current crisis.

WWII German Collectors are very nervous, and are looking for an alternative and like you said moving to the Imperial era is their next step.

Personally this has already effected me not only by driving the prices up. I used to get calls and photo's from pickers all the time when they found Imperial items now I'm getting photo's and questions about prices. Several of their WWII clients with more money then sense are saying I'll pay whatever it takes to get such and such.

The exact same thing happened to WWII collecting years ago, and the fakes are now in just about every collection. Its now so bad that many dealers don't even want to bother with certain items like insignia anymore because they are getting stung with fakes. I sure hope that doesn't happen with my beloved Imperial Era.

I can tell ya one thing, when a dealer gets burned 9 out of 10 will just pass it on to someone else who knows less. I've never heard of a dealer who said man I just lost thousands on fake SS Insignia because I didn't know any better so instead of passing it on, I burned it to make sure it never happens to anyone else.

Yea thats not gonna happen. :oops:

I can tell ya one thing, when a dealer gets burned 9 out of 10 will just pass it on to someone else who knows less. I've never heard of a dealer who said man I just lost thousands on fake SS Insignia because I didn't know any better so instead of passing it on, I burned it to make sure it never happens to anyone else.

Yea thats not gonna happen. :oops:

I know someone very well who would do that. Peter Whamond is my friend who runs a very successful business The Collectors Guild here in NB. 30 years in business with a lifetime guarantee on originality. If he discovers that he had sold a high-end copy in error, I have known Peter to contact customers over 10 years previous to tell them what he sold was a copy, and buy it back, and he does not resell them. I’ve seen him do this many times. He updates his site once a month with original items, with 30+ years of his eyeball on them. You cannot beat experience, integrity, and honesty.

I know someone very well who would do that. Peter Whamond is my friend who runs a very successful business The Collectors Guild here in NB. 30 years in business with a lifetime guarantee on originality. If he discovers that he had sold a high-end copy in error, I have known Peter to contact customers over 10 years previous to tell them what he sold was a copy, and buy it back, and he does not resell them. I’ve seen him do this many times. He updates his site once a month with original items, with 30+ years of his eyeball on them. You cannot beat experience, integrity, and honesty.

Congratulations (y)

I also believe that "you cannot beat experience, integrity, and honesty" the problem is not all dealers have the qualities you mention. I did say 9 out of 10 would pass it on so I'm very happy to hear you story about Peter. Thats the kind of thing the Hobby needs more of. (y)

The best thing we can do as collectors is support the dealers with the qualities you mention and let the others be known as well.

I'm familiar with collectors guild, sadly I haven't been able to do any business with them of yet. I tried once when they had a round I wanted for my Granatenwerfer 16 but they couldn't ship to the USA but only within in Canada.

Back