Cuirassiers helmet 1867

Eichenblatt

Hello Dear Collectors,

On the back of recent discussions about cuirassier helmets, allow me to present another one with a request for opinions on it.
Thank you in advance for your time and assistance in evaluating the artefact.
Yours sincerely and respectfully

Piotr

Attachments

• k1.png
    k1.png
    876.5 KB · Views: 63
  • k2.png
    k2.png
    995.1 KB · Views: 65
  • k3.png
    k3.png
    730.1 KB · Views: 67
  • k4.png
    k4.png
    762.8 KB · Views: 64
Hello Piotr,
Beautiful cuirassier helmet from the Prussian line. Good condition, nothing to report. This is the M67 model because the ring around the schell is in one piece from the front to the lobster tail.
On April 25, 1867, a segment of rush was added under the cockade to the 1862 model. We can clearly see the connection under the side rivet of the visor on the GKR in the photo below. Model 62 therefore only has this ring at the level of the visor, but not on the sides. And helmets built after April 67 will have a rim that will be of a single horseshoe segment.
The eagle with the effigy of the 1860 Line infantry model is the right model because it is the one that will last until 1915 for the cuirassiers. ( Vaterland-headband to the end of the wings, thighs fused to the bottom of the wings, V-shaped abdomen feathers.)

Attachments

• GKR mod25-4-67 +2 segments.jpg
    GKR mod25-4-67 +2 segments.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 23
Sorry, I shd have said that the m15 kurassiers do not have the ridge at the back.

The ridge is basically to reinforce the weight of the kurassier helmets and most if not all officers which are lighter in weight has the ridge, some of the enlisted models do have while some don't.

I have 2 comments to make on your kurassier and take no offence. It is also for me to learn if I am wrong.

The spike neck that the spike goes on it, has a funny shape, usually they are more rounded but yours is more angular.

The liner does not seem original to the helmet.

The characteristics of a M67 helmet seems to be correct, but there are a few things to discuss:
  • The vertical rib is correct for a M67, it was eliminated for enlisted helmets in 1889.
  • As Amy noted, the triangular bulge at the top of the spikebase is odd. it was normally a rounded bulge. But here is another one with a different shape from the Museum in Frankfurt, so it will be fine I think: https://historisches-museum-frankfurt.de/de/node/33873#
  • Some of the domed rivets seems to be very high, but it could be an optical illusion. The square nuts and washers seems to show no signs of aging?
  • The trims are very wide and the new trim between the visors should be slightly narrower than the visor trims. The trims around the front and rear visor should be 0,5 mm wide, the new one between the visors only 0,4 mm. However, I have seen other helmets with wider trims before 1889 and these are crafted very well, so it might be ok.
  • Like Amy, I‘m not sure if the liner is original, same goes for the cockade.

Hello Piotr,
Beautiful cuirassier helmet from the Prussian line. Good condition, nothing to report. This is the M67 model because the ring around the schell is in one piece from the front to the lobster tail.
On April 25, 1867, a segment of rush was added under the cockade to the 1862 model. We can clearly see the connection under the side rivet of the visor on the GKR in the photo below. Model 62 therefore only has this ring at the level of the visor, but not on the sides. And helmets built after April 67 will have a rim that will be of a single horseshoe segment.
The eagle with the effigy of the 1860 Line infantry model is the right model because it is the one that will last until 1915 for the cuirassiers. ( Vaterland-headband to the end of the wings, thighs fused to the bottom of the wings, V-shaped abdomen feathers.)
Kindly thank you for Your opinion and guidance.
Sincerely.

The characteristics of a M67 helmet seems to be correct, but there are a few things to discuss:
  • The vertical rib is correct for a M67, it was eliminated for enlisted helmets in 1889.
  • As Amy noted, the triangular bulge at the top of the spikebase is odd. it was normally a rounded bulge. But here is another one with a different shape from the Museum in Frankfurt, so it will be fine I think: https://historisches-museum-frankfurt.de/de/node/33873#
  • Some of the domed rivets seems to be very high, but it could be an optical illusion. The square nuts and washers seems to show no signs of aging?
  • The trims are very wide and the new trim between the visors should be slightly narrower than the visor trims. The trims around the front and rear visor should be 0,5 mm wide, the new one between the visors only 0,4 mm. However, I have seen other helmets with wider trims before 1889 and these are crafted very well, so it might be ok.
  • Like Amy, I‘m not sure if the liner is original, same goes for the cockade.
Sincerely.

I have 2 comments to make on your kurassier and take no offence. It is also for me to learn if I am wrong.

The spike neck that the spike goes on it, has a funny shape, usually they are more rounded but yours is more angular.

The liner does not seem original to the helmet.
Sincerely.

Back