Cut down tip of the spike

Sadowa

• Hello ,

I would like to ask you-especially Tony:
    on Kaisers Bunker- in part Imperial German Pickelhaube Evolution 1842-1915 - M.1871 ,there is contemporary picture,where the soldier on the left side,has a spike helmet with cutdown tip of the spike. Could it be because of the plum by trumpeter?
    http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pe/m1871.htm

Next guestion : time ago I have bought 2 prussian cockardes- black and white and black-red-white. Dimensions: diameter: 6,45 cm,diameter of the hole : 1,85 cm. So- to which Pattern belongs these kokardes?

Thank you for some infos,Alexandr

Hi Alex; I will attempt a reply on your kokarde question. I have seen examples of the larger older style kokarden pre 1891 which normally would have had the small holes for the bolt on chinscales. In this case the holes had been enlarged so that they would fit over the M91 side posts. Perhaps this is what you have. Brian

Sadowa said:
the soldier on the left side,has a spike helmet with cutdown tip of the spike.
Hi Alex,

I does look like the tip is missing doesn't it? That is actually a spot on the photo; he has a full spike. He is not a musician, but that would be irrelevant as all Pickelhaubes in titled regiments had removable spike tops to accommodate the plume, not just the muiscians. Typically, the spike unscrews to reveal an almost flat top (almost always for artillery), or what appears to be a "half" spike. A plume would never screw onto the very top of a spike like that.

• Hi Brian and Tony,

thanks a lot for your prompt response.
    Up to the kokardes- yes I know that the older types were larger-but this diameter I didn´t find in Tonie´s Evalution guide-there are mentioned kokardes of 57 mm.
    Up to missing tip- It didn´t seem to me like a spot on photo-that´s why I stated this guestion.I believe the man is not musican,too.I meant he could be horn-blower -"signal-man" giving signal orders in the battle-hope you can understand what I mean. -and the plum should be red. I guess I have read or heard something about that,but not sure.

Thanks again,Alexandr

Sadowa said:
//Up to the kokardes- yes I know that the older types were larger-but this diameter I didn´t find in Tonie´s Evalution guide-there are mentioned kokardes of 57 mm.

Ah-ha. Look at the bottom of this page.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/metalhelme.htm

Is that the one?

• Thank you very much Tony and take my appologize-about your webs!
    Yes, it is that type! I can´t uderstand how I didn´t get the idea to think about this kind of the helmet.
    It´s clear now.

Alexandr

Back