Cyphered M15

USN

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I just got this nice piece in the mail, I believe it's an M15 strap for the 10th grenadier regiment but the numeral on the bottom in hand appears to be more of a V than an II what does everyone here think?
USN
20220313_083437.jpg
20220313_083444.jpg

without my reference in hand
the strap is piped in white so it would not be G R 10
the following Grenadier regiments were piped in yellow G R 5 ; G R 6 ; G R 7 : G R 10 and G R 11
white piping to for G R 1 ; G R 2 ; G R 3 and G R 4
G R 9 was also white but with a number 9
Steve

No doubt a nice M15 strap. Look closely, is there any chance that could be a IV that some critter has munched on the left side of the Roman numeral and it's actually an IV? Worth a close look. IV is Grenadier Regt. Nr. 2. Kraus Band I has every Infanterie cypher made on the M15, there is no crown-FWR-V that I can find.

No doubt a nice M15 strap. Look closely, is there any chance that could be a IV that some critter has munched on the left side of the Roman numeral and it's actually an IV? Worth a close look. IV is Grenadier Regt. Nr. 2. Kraus Band I has every Infanterie cypher made on the M15, there is no crown-FWR-V that I can find.
I had considered that as well since there is a small red speck of thread to the left of the V but it just seemed strange nothing else on the face of the board was damaged but the I. I also was unable to find that cypher with a V under it which is why I initially thought it was just a crooked II.

I think it may be a II that who ever stitched it didn't want to break it from the machine and was sloppy.

I think Tony is correct. It looks like the remaining "V" is off-centered to the viewer's right, below the cypher. Something must have "munched" off the missing "I" as he's stated.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Thank you for the opinions gentlemen! A fine 2nd grenadier regiment strap it is.

Back