dark coloured M15 kurassier helmet?

hamtaro

HI guys,

I am puzzled by this M15 metalhelme, from the spike, spike base, the visor etc, its obvious that its a M15 kurassier, but why the dark colour? I thought M15 kurassier helmets are more or less shinny polished metal, whereas the M15 JzP is of a dark/blue coloured.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWI-PRUSSIAN-EM-SPIKED-HELMET-Original-Pickelhaube_W0QQitemZ6599141463QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,
Bambang

Hi Bambang.

I think they often are polished steel but I believe the blackened varity is also correct for an M15. This may be black paint rather than blued steel, I'm not sure, and it looks like it might have the "Weissenburger & Cle, Cannstatt" metal tag inside.

Good luck.

Mike.

Hi Mike and Corky,

Thanks for the reply, I didnt know that the blackened kurassier metalhelme exists.

By the way, Corky, do you have pics of your blackened kurassier? I am really curious and is it also made by Weissenburger & Cle, Cannstatt?

Thanks
Bambang

Hi Bambang,
The helmet is good, but the shape I thing that a :tank: ran over him, or then I am needing new glasses... :-?
Otto

picture 1
1138658522598_lobhel_1.JPG

These two nice helmets seem to be correct according to a picture in the Larcade's book vol. 2. Perhaps is this sort of black painting a speciality for some models of Weissenburger... :?

Maxime

This helmet has a little story. I was diving down a side road in the beach town of Morehead, N.C. at about 35mph when I passed a small junk shop with this in the window. I caught it in the corner of my eye, slammed on brakes and did a U-turn. I scared the owner who was standing in front of his store. I rolled down the window and asked "How much for the helmet ? " He looked perplexed, but finally said $150.00. I jumped out, paid for it, and as I was leaving he handed me a baggy. " I think this goes with it." In the baggy the were 15 original officers and EM kokardes. That was one nice day I will never forget ! Corky

thecorkhelmet said:
This helmet has a little story. I was diving down a side road in the beach town of Morehead, N.C. at about 35mph when I passed a small junk shop with this in the window. I caught it in the corner of my eye, slammed on brakes and did a U-turn. I scared the owner who was standing in front of his store. I rolled down the window and asked "How much for the helmet ? " He looked perplexed, but finally said $150.00. I jumped out, paid for it, and as I was leaving he handed me a baggy. " I think this goes with it." In the baggy the were 15 original officers and EM kokardes. That was one nice day I will never forget ! Corky

:eek: :eek: :eek: !
=D> Otto

Hi Corky,

Nice helmet! And thats another new thing for me to learn, I really didnt know/expect that, apart from M15 JzP, a blackened M15 Kurassier does exists.
So, how many variants of M15 Kurassier are there actually? I mean, Lachmann is known for its 90 degree rear visor, now this, a helmet by Weissenburger & Cle, Cannstatt, which Max says that a blackened helmet might the maker's trademark.

And you got that while bypassing a junk shop? Well, some guys have all the luck....darn :twisted:

Is there a felt erzats kurassier helmet??

Bambang

From what I have observed, the late issue Kuirassier helmets where never blackened chemically. They seem to depot/field painted but this is merely an assumption. I have also see the late issue Ersazt Kuirassier ( the ones with the 1 piece, pressed neck shield, painted in a field grey color. The color closely resembles the color on the M16 helmets. The question is would this have beed a depot paint job or field one.

I have not seen any pictures of a dark Kuirassier helmet actually in field use. Has anyone ever seen one?

As for a Ersatz felt Kurassier helmet I did indeed see one but never held one. I always thought the Kuirassiers where considered front line troops and would have been issued the M-16/M-18 before they would be given felt helmets.

John

I have a Weissenberger made M15 JzP and its blued steel not black paint so I dont think its a 'trademark' of this company. The whole thing has a very definate high quality feel to it though with a really good liner and a superbly detailed plate.

Back