Dealers stuff on Ebay...

Pontiac9999

There is a militaria dealer who goes by Derrittmeister and a lot of his stuff is now on Ebay.

But what I don't get is how he is asking sky high prices for the stuff.

For example, he is asking $5000 USD for a m15 Kurassier helmet when a similar one sold for $1500 USD on the Age Of Kings militaria site.

I don't understand what is going through a dealers mind when thry are asking like 200% + mark-up from an average price. Does he really think that the items are going to sell on Ebay since they didn't sell on his website?

Yes, I saw the "new" eBay member with his listings as well.

I wonder if some of the items are Jim Turinetti's helmets, or if the helmets are Ken's helmets.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Reactions: USN
I had dealt with both Jim and Ken and I find them both nice people.

I find Ken puts in a lot of effort to describe his helmets by doing research so that's a plus point. I have not seen any fake haubes on his site.

Of cos, if u see his prices,u would assume he buys at a relatively high price to resell but that is not the case. ( I tried and was not the impressed with the offer price)

Jim has always been a gentleman. Whenever I have doubts with the content of his books, he will gladly guide me.

I do have to agree that their prices are off this planet.

Regards
Amy Bellars

I was shocked when I just read this post. It is the identical helmet that I own. At first I thought it was mine. But I only want 900 €

Reactions: ccj
Der Rittmeister is a baffling operation to me. Their prices are jaw-droppingly huge, often exponentially worse than virtually any other dealer. There is indeed a lot of historical info and research in their posts, but I find much of it be wrong and/or misleading. Some if pure fantasy. It's astonishing to me that they've been in business as long as they have - someone must be buying this stuff to keep them afloat, despite their prices. Definitely a "caveat emptor" operation in my view, although some good, interesting pieces clearly come their way. (USN said it best...minefield.)

Der Rittmeister is a baffling operation to me. Their prices are jaw-droppingly huge, often exponentially worse than virtually any other dealer. There is indeed a lot of historical info and research in their posts, but I find much of it be wrong and/or misleading. Some if pure fantasy. It's astonishing to me that they've been in business as long as they have - someone must be buying this stuff to keep them afloat, despite their prices. Definitely a "caveat emptor" operation in my view, although some good, interesting pieces clearly come their way. (USN said it best...minefield.)
You are right. I quote every single word.

I had dealt with both Jim and Ken and I find them both nice people.

I find Ken puts in a lot of effort to describe his helmets by doing research so that's a plus point. I have not seen any fake haubes on his site.

Of cos, if u see his prices,u would assume he buys at a relatively high price to resell but that is not the case. ( I tried and was not the impressed with the offer price)

Jim has always been a gentleman. Whenever I have doubts with the content of his books, he will gladly guide me.

I do have to agree that their prices are off this planet.

Regards
Amy Bellars
well said
I also know both of them
Ken & his wife came a few years ago to visit with us
they stayed in our guest house next door
and they took us out to dinner
nice people
over the years I have bought a few things from him
no helmets
also I have sold to him
If he likes an item he pays the full price
no haggle
a Uhlan officer to parade for $ 7,000 some years ago
I have also sold him uniforms that I thinned out
I am not trying to defend his prices
In the past I know that he has bought from Weitze
and then offers for resale
Jim T. has for some reason become part of Der R
how much I don't know
Jim is a collector of helmets
and is a retired Air Force officer
one year at the S O S my wife and I went with Jim
and his wife for his Birthday dinner in Louisville
nice people
I have done a few deals with Jim on helmets
mostly trade
and yes Jim does list some of his duplicate helmets
on Der R the number always ends in JT
due to health reasons Jim's wife had to move to assisted living
Jim at that time sold his Husaren officers helmets
to Helmut Weitze
this is what I know
Steve

Der Rittmeister's prices are ludicrously high and he is not as knowledgeable as he purports to be.
A few years ago I purchased a rare visor cap from him, listed as a Bavarian artillery officer's, but actually for the Leibgarde der Hartschiere,
The cap is blue, with a black velvet band & black piping.
Priced as a common artillery cap, I bought it for less than half it's value.

Reactions: USN
There now are 144 items listed for sale
but some are on there twice
take a look at this one
there is no litzen on the Waffenrock
I can't tell the color of the epaulettes ?
If yellow they are Garde Uhlan ?
Steve

German Waffenrock for a Leutnant in Garde Kurassier Rgt​

There now are 144 items listed for sale
but some are on there twice
take a look at this one
there is no litzen on the Waffenrock
I can't tell the color of the epaulettes ?
If yellow they are Garde Uhlan ?
Steve

German Waffenrock for a Leutnant in Garde Kurassier Rgt​

Steve,
I think their lighting is bad - most of their images have a yellow tone to them. The epaulets look white(ish) on my screen. But clearly not GKR. The kollerborten and buttons are described as silver (although they look yellowish too). If so, it could only be KR3 I think?

Jeff

On top of his insane prices, his item descriptions are often incorrect, despite his wordy blather.
Savvy collectors should avoid him; I wonder how long this stuff has been in his inventory,or is it mainly consignment items?
Methinks he has been frustrated trying to sell on his website; is Ebay the last hope!

Steve,
I think their lighting is bad - most of their images have a yellow tone to them. The epaulets look white(ish) on my screen. But clearly not GKR. The kollerborten and buttons are described as silver (although they look yellowish too). If so, it could only be KR3 I think?

Jeff
It seems too dark for K R 3
I was thinking maybe K R 6 ?
John M had a post about one of the Kurassiere regiments
that had special features ?
Maybe it was K R 6 ?
Steve

On top of his insane prices, his item descriptions are often incorrect, despite his wordy blather.
Savvy collectors should avoid him; I wonder how long this stuff has been in his inventory,or is it mainly consignment items?
Methinks he has been frustrated trying to sell on his website; is Ebay the last hope!
Maybe he should face facts and realize he's either delusional with how much money he thinks he'll make off of these items or that he will have to start taking losses if he wants to sell.

It seems too dark for K R 3
I was thinking maybe K R 6 ?
John M had a post about one of the Kurassiere regiments
that had special features ?
Maybe it was K R 6 ?
Steve

I'm guessing the terrible lighting that makes everything look yellow is also making the cuffs/collar look darker than they would in daylight.

Yes, KR6 had an unusual waffenrock with facings were poppy red rather than regimental Russian Blue (supposedly because the Russian Blue/Dark Blue combo had too little contrast). KR6 also has gilt buttons and kollerborten - this one is described as silver (although like everything else in the photos it looks yellow). The epaulet underlays look like a very light blue. It's a weird item, for sure.

Jeff

Back