decyphering a name on dagger scabbard

This is on an 1891 Imperial German long cadet naval dagger scabbard ..I am trying to read the name--- I believe it is
capital--- b or l -- then ------- ieffens... can any one definitely read the first letter and the name...
I googled german writing and believe this style is called Kurrent .......
when finally becoming an offizier the user was able to continue wearing this model ..

please help-if you are conversant in this-----alte helm zimmer ----randolpho ----- my first attempt at a post and photos

thanks very much herr sandman-- this information has given me several other possibilities ----perhaps a--t----now i will try looking him up with T ---as b or l gave me no responses --- is tieffens or tiessens a name you have heard of previously?????-what else makes a name ending with---- iessens--
the lack of photos is probably my fault as this is my first try to send them i 'll try a again in a day or two.. regards ----randolpho

"Tiessens" is a fairly common name in the northeast of the Netherlands and the adjoining northwest of Germany - like the area in and around Emden. It's a patronym, from the man's name Ties. So as a name inside a helmet or in this case on a dagger scabbard "Tiessens" is a very good possibility.

Thanks so much Jaap.....I thought a European was needed to unravel that..Now I 'll concentrate on Tieff(ss)en and see what I find...It also makes sense that a lad from coast would enter the navy..I'll let you know if luck is here..I once had a fine Reserve Offizier Mecklenburg Schweren helm which had been found on the north coast of the Netherlands.------. Danke------Randolpho

AHZ...great to have you back with us, there is an explanation of how the new picture posting is done in the Welcome section of the forum called Adding Pictures to Post. Have a look there but if all else fails email your pics to me and I will post them as before.

Hi Randolpho! A major problem with tracing patronyms from the Ostfriesland area is that there are/were so many bearers of those names. Now take myself: one of my great-great-grandfathers was a sea captain by the name of Friedrich Martin Carsjens, born in the first half of the 1800's in Emden. I'd like to learn more about him, but the only thing that I could find is his father's name: Bartolomäus Carsjens - from there on I run into a brick wall. Carsjens (also spelled Carstens) is a patronym from the man's name Cars of Carst, just like T(h)iessen(s) derives from the man's name Ties. Considering that during many centuries the same first names kept reappearing in those families, there were many, MANY "sons of Ties" when surnames became obligatory. So lots of Tiessens, just like lots of Carsjens. In civilian archives it's difficult to find any particular one - military archives may be somewhat easier. Many "German" Tiessens migrated to the Netherlands, even to the extend that A.D. 2018 there may be living more "here" than "there".

There is, by the way, also a German "von Tie(f)fen" family - an ancient noble crowd. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about them, I don't think it's a common name nowadays.

Try to post a pic (Brian referred to the posting where that's explained), maybe all of us together can figure out whether it's indeed Tiessens, which is rather likely anyway as you stated, considering the conection with those families to the sea, or whether that nefarious old German writing confuses us to the extend that there's another name altogether. That particular German writing always reminds me of the exclamations of the little bird Woodstock in the Peanuts/Charlie Brown cartoons :D

Today, I made a new step by step explanation of the new picture posting process in the Posting Photographs section. I tried to explain things in a manner by which someone of the older generation like myself, could place pictures on the forum successfully. As forum moderator, it is a bit frustrating knowing that we have older collectors out there with fabulous collections who are willing to share but they do not have the skills to get their pictures on the site.

alte helm zimmer said:
thanks very much herr sandman-- this information has given me several other possibilities ----perhaps a--t----now i will try looking him up with T ---as b or l gave me no responses --- is tieffens or tiessens a name you have heard of previously?????-what else makes a name ending with---- iessens--
the lack of photos is probably my fault as this is my first try to send them i 'll try a again in a day or two.. regards ----randolpho
You’re welcome...and call me Sandy :wink:
But as Jaap said, try again to upload the pic, the old german handwriting is not easy to read. I’m still not perfect in reading all slopy handwritings, but since I investigated in my family history my ability to read Kanzlei-Handwriting is getting better and better :D

guten abendt---- Sandy--Jaap & Brian-----we will try soon---- tomorrow ? with a fresh bunch of energy ____My wife is more at ease with this verdamt computer scheiss than am I---We read over the new photo guide and it seems we did much of that --now for a few tweaks and perhaps --success..Thank s for your new guide. Brian---- I need to be able to do this !!!!!!!!!!! along with learning not to make so many******* typing errors... the TIME interval as not been wasted... I"ve been reading military books along with nautical history and

European ceramics (our other passions )and practicing photography= along with keeping up with PH from a distance--- This site seems to be
rejuvenating-- since the new photo program was initiated..

The variety of German script has has been a focus for months and very frustrating ....I have practiCed and read frequently to the point where I can discern many of the letters---JUST NOT THE ONES I NEED..until next time ..Schlaff Gute Kameraden ---Alte Helm Zimmer Randolpho

My Mother -in -Law use to write in the old script - I could never figure out her notes.

Back