dent removal on pressed felt helmet..

orwilliams

I searched for information on the site, but may have missed it... I wondered if a person had a pressed felt pickelhaube with a dent in it if steam could be used to remove it. Prices seem to be climbing on the ebay pickelhauben that I looked at, so I bought a M1881 US military helmet. Enlisted...felt, not cork. It has a slight "push in" like thumb size, near top. I wondered if a similar situation might be found on a pressed felt pickelhaube, and if so, could gentle steam directed to the area, and pushed back out could be done. Sorry if question does not belong in pickelhaube restoration, didn't know where else to ask it. Thanks, Oliver

When you say the "felt not cork" you mean the dark blue/black helmet?

When it comes to dents in felt I would try to use something to help block the helmet back - like a piece of foam or a wood block. I'd be very careful with steam as it can hurt the glue, loosen thread, etc. I have a number of felt sun helmets from WWII and the dents that are pushed out and held in place with a block or something tend to maintain their shape, but once a dent is in felt it is pretty much there for good.

Thanks, yes it is dark blue, typical Indian wars helmet, cavalry. And, yes, I think I will just leave it as is. Thanks

Steam is one method, but very risky, I would leave alone.

Will see if Brian our expert on restoration has a better idea?

James

If it helps, here is a picture. I am not concerned about the small indentations in a circular pattern....that is where an oak leaf base sets. The indentation does not actually look as bad in real life as the photo. As a side note....I really wanted a Uhlan czapka, and had sold a gun to put some money towards it, but there are so many altered pieces, and prices are so high, I decided to get a M1881 US helmet. I have always liked them and the prices are fairly reasonable now. Hope the pic. posts ok. Thanks, Oliver

At one time I had a felt helmet that had sat on a shelf for 50 years. Both visors had folded up and the spike had sunk in the crown of the helmet. I used steam to reshape the helmet, steaming it and then blocking it. It turned out fine. I have long since sold the piece or I would post a photo.

I used steam, carefully, and was able to get the dent out. I is not nearly as noticeable. I waited a bit in case it decided to pop back out, but everything
looks ok. Thanks.

Good to hear everything worked out Oliver. You took a risk but had sense not to go crazy and "burn" things. Using steam for reshaping is a very tricky business. I have done it whenever dealing with felt pickelhauben but you do have to be very careful.

Back