Didier Laine book for sale on ebay Kleinanzeigen..

I really would like to own it, but the price! €250 asking!
What do you guy's think about that, is it really worth it?

Regards, Coert.
This is ridiculously expensive. I have two copies and I will only keep the one Didier dedicaced for me. If I can find the other one, you can have it.

This is ridiculously expensive. I have two copies and I will only keep the one Didier dedicaced for me. If I can find the other one, you can have it.
Exactly what I was expecting Bruno, far too expensive. I know those books are worth having in any reference library though.
If you find the other one, I would be very interested in the one you have double!

Regards,Coert.

I have two. One I travel with (Don't leave home without it!) It is by far my favorite reference . I wish the binding was in better shape.

Slightly cheaper copy.

Thanks! I just bought it. I hope it arrives fast here, so I can read more. And have a very nice reference book in my growing book collection!

Best regards, Coert.

Well friends, the book arrived yesterday at my house! Excellent, and in new condition!
I am very happy to finally have it in my reference book collection. Thanks again for the link to it @ussguppy !
Yesterday evening was spent reading it, and I will do so very much again. What a work Didier put in it, in 1984.

Regards, Coert.

Well friends, the book arrived yesterday at my house! Excellent, and in new condition!
I am very happy to finally have it in my reference book collection. Thanks again for the link to it @ussguppy !
Yesterday evening was spent reading it, and I will do so very much again. What a work Didier put in it, in 1984.

Regards, Coert.
I am very sure that Bruno knew Laine .Also for those who might not follow Jan K. Kube
and his auction catalogs , after Laine passed away his collection was sold at auction by Kube .
Everything brought record breaking prices .Collectors wanted a piece that was in his book .
The photos of helmets shown in the book were his and 2 other collectors at the time ; Walter Eric Hartmann and Jacques A. Preis .
Steve

I am very sure that Bruno knew Laine .Also for those who might not follow Jan K. Kube
and his auction catalogs , after Laine passed away his collection was sold at auction by Kube .
Everything brought record breaking prices .Collectors wanted a piece that was in his book .
The photos of helmets shown in the book were his and 2 other collectors at the time ; Walter Eric Hartmann and Jacques A. Preis .
Steve
I remember this sale. It was in 2009!

Best wishes,

GardeUlan

I am very sure that Bruno knew Laine .
I sure did, Steve. He was my mentor when I started collecting. Visiting him in his beautiful flat in the very center of Paris, next to "Hotel de Brienne", where the Ministry of War was located in WW1, was quite a treat (I have attached a picture of this building in August 1914, with the first flag taken to the Prussians displayed at the window. More trophies were exhibited, which attracted a considerable crowd).
The way his collection was displayed was exquisite, notwithstanding the intrinsic quality of the objects.
He was of course unbelievably demanding when it came to the quality of helmets. My first experience with him: I coveted an UR14 officer Tschapka that was for sale privately. I managed to borrow it from the seller and rushed to Didier's place to seek his opinion. He looked at it and went: "Undoubtedly original, but what a piece of shit !!". Retrospectively, I realized that the Tschapka was indeed a little battered, although it would probably cause much joy to many a collector nowadays !
I own two helmets from his collection, one of which is pictured in the book discussed in this thread.download.png

Regards, Coert.
A great reference book it is. Indeed.

I sure did, Steve. He was my mentor when I started collecting. Visiting him in his beautiful flat in the very center of Paris, next to "Hotel de Brienne", where the Ministry of War was located in WW1, was quite a treat (I have attached a picture of this building in August 1914, with the first flag taken to the Prussians displayed at the window. More trophies were exhibited, which attracted a considerable crowd).
The way his collection was displayed was exquisite, notwithstanding the intrinsic quality of the objects.
He was of course unbelievably demanding when it came to the quality of helmets. My first experience with him: I coveted an UR14 officer Tschapka that was for sale privately. I managed to borrow it from the seller and rushed to Didier's place to seek his opinion. He looked at it and went: "Undoubtedly original, but what a piece of shit !!". Retrospectively, I realized that the Tschapka was indeed a little battered, although it would probably cause much joy to many a collector nowadays !
I own two helmets from his collection, one of which is pictured in the book discussed in this thread.View attachment 27495
Bruno
Thank you
Steve

If I may...I would like some additional personal information on Laine if possible. what was his profession, when did he start collecting, was he wealthy in order to assemble his collection and achieve such renowned expertise?? What was his personal background...that apartment was certainly not for the ordinary person. Why did he choose to publish these books? I have owned his book for decades and always found it very useful. I have two copies, my original bought back in the 1980's, has soiled pages with broken cover due to decades of use. The other, purchased from James a few years back is pristine.

Last edited:
Back