Dirty Little Hessen Feld Arty No. 25 !

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I bought this helmet for my own collection...a private purchase Hessen from Feld Arty Regt. 25. I state number 25 instead of 61, the other Hessen Feld Artillerie Regt because this kugel unscrews for the parade trichter, 61 does not wear the trichter. There is a lot of work to be done on this helmet as it has suffered a lot of abuse over the years. The helmet is obviously filthy to begin with, sweat band rotted away, rear visor curled and rotten thread. The shell is covered in dust and fittings are heavily oxidized :(. However......with a bit of work....we can change things around!! :D Both visors have to be taken off, a new original officer sweat band installed, then visors put back on. The silk liner surprisingly, is in decent "nick" as the Brits say so that will be stitched back in. I will also clean the fittings....the scales very lightly to preserve gilding but the rest will be sonically cleaned which will not affect gilding. The before photos:
B7C01F94-9F52-4043-927A-AB707D0FD42B_1_201_a.jpeg
Note: The Hessen Artillerie Officer did wear the pearl ring on their kugels unlike the Hessen Infantry Officer. Despite being an officer private purchase style helmet, the wappen does not have the officer pierced crown.
DE1CBA73-9C3C-4009-AD59-0D69163F5D2D_1_201_a.jpeg
Fortunately , the uber rare Hessen officer kokarde is still in place! :D
201620AF-73B7-44DE-9429-931FE79B9F4E_1_201_a.jpeg
Rear visor stitching rotten and we are going to try and straighten the kugel.
7902DAF5-4051-44DC-A6DD-F0A0492E68F3_1_201_a.jpeg
Oddly, a couple of missing washers but all original square nuts are there, as well as the rest of the fittings! I have an original sweatband to put in and as I said, the original silk liner is decent. There is a lot of work to be done here but I am really looking forward to adding this to my collection. To be continued...

Last edited:
I bought this helmet for my own collection...a private purchase Hessen from Feld Arty Regt. 25. I state number 25 instead of 61, the other Hessen Feld Artillerie Regt because this kugel unscrews for the parade trichter, 61 does not wear the trichter. There is a lot of work to be done on this helmet as it has suffered a lot of abuse over the years. The helmet is obviously filthy to begin with, sweat band rotted away, rear visor curled and rotten thread. The shell is covered in dust and fittings are heavily oxidized :(. However......with a bit of work....we can change things around!! :D Both visors have to be taken off, a new original officer sweat band installed, then visors put back on. The silk liner surprisingly, is in decent "nick" as the Brits say so that will be stitched back in. I will also clean the fittings....the scales very lightly to preserve gilding but the rest will be sonically cleaned which will not affect gilding. The before photos:
View attachment 22056
Note: The Hessen Artillerie Officer did wear the pearl ring on their kugels unlike the Hessen Infantry Officer. Despite being an officer private purchase style helmet, the wappen does not have the officer pierced crown.
View attachment 22057
Fortunately , the uber rare Hessen officer kokarde is still in place! :D
View attachment 22058
Rear visor stitching rotten and we are going to try and straighten the kugel.
View attachment 22059
Oddly, a couple of missing washers but all original square nuts are there, as well as the rest of the fittings! I have an original sweatband to put in and as I said, the original silk liner is decent. There is a lot of work to be done here but I am really looking forward to adding this to my collection. To be continued...
I am sure that t will look very different and better
after you have worked on it .
The Hessian kokard is the style that we have talked about before
Steve

Thanks Steve, I am looking forward to working on one of my own projects. I will post both the Hessen and Reichs in the kokarden section once I have them off.

Very nice Brian,
Looking forward to see the end result :)
Love the Hessen officer Kokarde!
Regards,
Lars

I wish I had the patience to develop the talent to refurbish a helmet. Good luck

Thanks gentlemen, I will post photos of the process. Just a comment on that inside shell pic, you can absolutely tell that nothing has been touched there for 100+ years. No scratches on nuts or washers although 2 of the later are missing??? Perhaps someone needed a couple of washers but at least they did not take the square nuts!! Anyway, this should be fun.

I took the helmet apart yesterday:
36493D5F-D0BA-4206-B686-4CD450056842_1_201_a.jpeg
The wappen screw post hole configuration I believe are uniquely Hessen, the posts are soldered on diagonally on private purchase helmets. Government issued helmets have the typical horizontal soldered loops.
BFCACEC6-87CB-4055-A8CD-C310056AE992_1_201_a.jpeg
The spine lines in the finish of shell and visor will be lined up to get all holes in the right position.
B727CA78-6A5E-4218-8172-4C98558BF8C1_1_201_a.jpeg
A bit of separation to the silk but it is nice and clean.
9567FCA5-3C3C-4E48-998C-329A541CF54A_1_201_a.jpeg
DDF873C4-BC79-4508-AEF0-74B6A0FE71D8_1_201_a.jpeg
These will be cleaned.
67D9B416-AB95-447E-AE7A-3C9DDA244C35_1_201_a.jpeg
I will using great care, try and clean some of the grime off of both these kokarden....water dawn dish soap and a soft toothbrush.
E14DD315-9352-4A66-A273-5B25034056E9_1_201_a.jpeg
8181562F-5A75-4F67-A97C-85ED8DA7F4DB_1_201_a.jpeg
This wappen is going to clean up nicely. Marvellous sharp details on this beautiful wappen!

Some photos of the helmet as it looks now:
C554AB4A-5457-4E9E-8401-B19B07423D0A_1_201_a.jpeg
I usually remove the visor trim when stitching a visor back on but in this case, the trim was determined to stay on so I did not take it off.
2FDAE82A-FF84-4795-B690-DCAA5F0C18FF_1_201_a.jpeg
The rear visor, as usual the spine marks were lined up, pinned and then I work my way out to the corners with additional pins.
E4481F34-745E-49F1-BA3F-AA6CB94A7C0D_1_201_a.jpeg
The original sweat band I installed came with it's own silk so I installed both together. The silk always takes a beating when things are stitched. I want to try and tack stitch that separated area back onto the sweat band if possible.
400FAE0D-A88F-4749-AABC-7EEF45515D3D_1_201_a.jpeg
The visor pins on this helmet are larger than normal. The gilt trim was lightly cleaned with Never Dull.
72D49864-2417-496B-BC38-13D36100DCF9_1_201_a.jpeg
All fittings have been cleaned. The gilded scales were again cleaned lightly with ND. There are two small spots on the shell where I am adding a bit of finish but basically the hard work has been done and the piece is ready to be put back together.

Some photos of the helmet as it looks now:
View attachment 22669
I usually remove the visor trim when stitching a visor back on but in this case, the trim was determined to stay on so I did not take it off.
View attachment 22670
The rear visor, as usual the spine marks were lined up, pinned and then I work my way out to the corners with additional pins.
View attachment 22671
The original sweat band I installed came with it's own silk so I installed both together. The silk always takes a beating when things are stitched. I want to try and tack stitch that separated area back onto the sweat band if possible.
View attachment 22672
The visor pins on this helmet are larger than normal. The gilt trim was lightly cleaned with Never Dull.
View attachment 22673
All fittings have been cleaned. The gilded scales were again cleaned lightly with ND. There are two small spots on the shell where I am adding a bit of finish but basically the hard work has been done and the piece is ready to be put back together.
That front plate looks super !
Steve

Looks fantastic Brian, congratulations!

You've really brought this helmet back to life again!

I knew that wappen had a lot of the mercury fire gilding remaining on it when it was still dirty.

No one else does work of this quality. You're the true King of helmet restoration!

Best Wishes,

Alan

Thank you gentlemen much appreciated. Alan, this couldn’t have happened without you tracking this down and agreeing to sell it to me. 👍

Back