Discharge document? 1866

Nick

Am I correct that the attached is a discharge document of some sort?

This Nestmann appears to have been born in Malapane, Upper Silesia (now Ozimek, Poland), which is relatively close to Gleiwitz (now Gliwice, Poland) where the 1st Battalion of the 22nd (1st Oberschlesien) Regiment was garrisoned.

I wonder if this might be Reinhold's father, although that would make him 40 when Reinhold was born. Can anyone make out the full name? I'm also having difficulty making out the reason for discharge. It looks like he served for 17 1/2 years.

Thanks again,
Nick

Nick,

the pass is from the 22. Landwehr-Regiment which were the precursors to the later recruiting and reservist control districts known as Bezirkskommandos. I get the impression that this certificate is just transfering him from Landwehr to Landsturm staus as he approaches his 40th year.....wird hiermit wegen (crossed out) zum Landsturm und aus dem Militairdienste gänzlich entlassen.

If I am not mistaken, the pass is in the name of Landwehr-Husar Carl Nestmann.

Regards
Glenn

Thank you again Glenn.

Yes, the name looked like Carl to me too (several other non-military documents I have from this time are to a Carl Nestmann). The other word looked like Husar, but I associate Hussar with a Cavalry unit, and the 22nd was an infantry regiment. What am I missing there?

So I guess its not a discharge document per se, but rather transferring him to a different military status as he was about to turn 40.

Nick

Nick,

The Landwehr-Regiment in peacetime was the recruiting and control and discharge organ of reservists/Landwehr men of all arms of service within its regimental boundary. For all intents and purposes, it is a discharge certificate as Landsturm men were free of any further mandatory training and control unless mobilised in time of war.

Regards
Glenn

Back