Division or Brigade ?

PICKELMAX

Hi all friends and fellow collectors,

I recently purchased this post card, showing a young Uhlan with Kameraden and dog, in the early times of the war at Passendale (Belgium).

His Tschapka's cover is marked R 53. What this marking does it mean? 53. Res. Div. or 53. Res Brigade? For the best, do you have an idea of which was the regiment that this guy belonged to?

Thanks for your help!

Maxime

Great photo Max! This is my interpretation based on looking it up in the 251 division histories. That helmet cover is probably neither from the division, nor from the brigade. For the most part helmet covers had to do with the unit itself, such as the 146 infantry Regiment. This is not entirely an air proof rule. the real cracks in the methodology comes from those troops that are either corps or division troops. Bavarians create their own headaches but these guys are Saxon.

So, for what I said to hold any water at all this would have to be the 53rd reserve Ulan Regiment. Obviously it is not but there is another clear explanation. The assigned cavalry for the 53rd reserve infantry division was the 53rd reserve cavalry detachment! What exactly was their constitution? I don't know, but at least this makes sense. So the helmet cover would be a designation that the soldier is a member of the 53rd reserve cavalry detachment. I of course welcome any other theories. :) :) :)

Hi Joe,

You're right! I found some informations this night in my books. The 53th Reserve Div. was near Passendale and Zonebeeke between november 1914 and april 1915. In this Division was the 53th Reserve Kavallerie Division. The 53th RD did belong to the 27th Reserve Army Corps in the 4th army. The 53th Division was created after the summer 1914. But I still don't know what was (were?) the Ulanen Regt composing the 53th RKD...

Maxime :(

Hi Maxime,

Glad to see the photo went to a good home. It's a great shot, w/an unusual marked cover! Glad to hear you also found out some good information on it!

All the Best,

Alan

Back