DR. 24

USN

Good evening gentlemen,

I was looking into the possibility of purchasing a stein from this man on ebay and was hoping to get some assistance, the only tell that I'm aware of for steins is the lithograph in the bottom. Other than that I have no idea how to tell an original from a fake. What does everyone think of these?

Thank you,
Will

Hi Will,
I'm not an expert, but I don't see any red flags. According to the seller some painting can be felt, which is a possible indication for originality (i.e. if it is missing, it is probably not original), the lids fit, the decals are applied correctly. You can ask the seller for a picture of the lithographs, shouldn't be nude women or soldiers with a bouquet of flowers.
Did you notice the seller will only ship within Germany?
Regards,
Lars

Reactions: USN
Hi Will,
I'm not an expert, but I don't see any red flags. According to the seller some painting can be felt, which is a possible indication for originality (i.e. if it is missing, it is probably not original), the lids fit, the decals are applied correctly. You can ask the seller for a picture of the lithographs, shouldn't be nude women or soldiers with a bouquet of flowers.
Did you notice the seller will only ship within Germany?
Regards,
Lars
I did yes, I have been considering asking someone to act as a middle man in the sale but it would depend on a few factors. I have a few DR 25 items that I'm in negotiations for at the moment as well.

I agree with Lars. Get photos of the lithopanes. I take it for granted that you've looked at the sites dealing with spotting originals vs. reproductions of these.
Ron

Agree with the above. The exteriors look legit from the images, and do not show any of the tell-tale repro signs. Both reservist names appear on the roster decal, which is also good. There are plenty of small differences between the steins in the hand-painted highlights that indicates these aren't mass produced copies. Hopefully the lithopanes look right as well. A lovely pair of steins!

Good evening gentlemen,

I was looking into the possibility of purchasing a stein from this man on ebay and was hoping to get some assistance, the only tell that I'm aware of for steins is the lithograph in the bottom. Other than that I have no idea how to tell an original from a fake. What does everyone think of these?

Thank you,
Will

Great regiment
and good ones to have
but he will not ship to the USA
Steve

Back