DR. 25 visor

USN

Good evening gentlemen,

This just arrived in the mail today, a very nice officers visor from the 25th dragoons which features the initial "M" in the liner. It would seem as though the original owner like me tended to keep alot of pomade in his hair as the liner is very deeply stained on the center of the liner. I think it makes an outstanding addition to my DR. 25 display for Rittmeister Berger. As always thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thank you,
USN

20230220_152455.jpg

20230220_152430.jpg

20230220_131406.jpg

Good evening gentlemen,

This just arrived in the mail today, a very nice officers visor from the 25th dragoons which features the initial "M" in the liner. It would seem as though the original owner like me tended to keep alot of pomade in his hair as the liner is very deeply stained on the center of the liner. I think it makes an outstanding addition to my DR. 25 display for Rittmeister Berger. As always thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thank you,
USN

View attachment 30028

View attachment 30029

View attachment 30030
I like it !
Steve

Reactions: USN
I think I may have an idea as to who originally owned this cap as well, in the Blau Dragoner book there is a list of all eskadron leaders and the years they were in command and there is a man named Marquardt commanding the 1st Eskadron in 1918 listed, could those who are more familiar with initialed headgear like this one comment on that theory? This is my first item with such a mark and typically the ones seen have crowns on them.

20221011_061736.jpg

I think I may have an idea as to who originally owned this cap as well, in the Blau Dragoner book there is a list of all eskadron leaders and the years they were in command and there is a man named Marquardt commanding the 1st Eskadron in 1918 listed, could those who are more familiar with initialed headgear like this one comment on that theory? This is my first item with such a mark and typically the ones seen have crowns on them.
It certainly could be. Names, initials, and monograms are not uncommon in this sort of headgear (which makes sense when almost everyone you interact with daily is wearing the exact same thing). The crowns are all very specific to different types of nobility and royalty. I'd expect crowned monograms for the Princes, "vons," "Grafs," and "Freiherren" on your list - but our friend Marquardt would likely just have an "M." Your hat would also be right for any DR25 commissioned officer or senior NCO, and is likely from @ 1910-1914 based on the style. Congrats on a lovely cap!

I agree with Jeff. I’ve had pieces with single initials a some with crowns over the initials. Also have had hats with the smaller oval type initials attached to the sweatband.
A great looking hat!
Cheers,
Dennis

Unfortunately, the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg does not have a portrait of Rittmeister Marquardt in his DR 25 uniform!

Regards
Glenn

Marquardt.JPG

Marquardt was listed as a reserve officer (Leutnant) in the 1914 rank list. But together with him there were also two Müller (Leutnants) in the list. I see no officer with the initial "M" in the active list from 1910 to 1914.

But frankly I don't think this cap belonged to Ernst Marquardt. Herr Marquardt was a reserve officer and a Leutnant d.R. in 1914. I checked back through all the editions of the relevant army list from 1900 to 1914 and there was just one active officer with a surname beginning with "M" in DR 25. That gentleman was Rittmeister Wilhelm von Marval-Seybold who left the regiment on promotion to Major and appointment as a Flügel-Adjutant to the King of Württemberg on 18 May 1908.

Herr Marval pictured as a general officer.

Marval.jpg

Unfortunately, the Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg does not have a portrait of Rittmeister Marquardt in his DR 25 uniform!

Regards
Glenn

View attachment 30129
Thats the pattern I've been noticing, I bought this hat to display with my named cross for Rittmeister Carl Berger and the only portrait of him in the archive is him in his TR uniform while he was CO of a riding school.

20211114_092929.jpg

Marquardt was listed as a reserve officer (Leutnant) in the 1914 rank list. But together with him there were also two Müller (Leutnants) in the list. I see no officer with the initial "M" in the active list from 1910 to 1914.
Its possible that it was one of the Müllers then, I assumed a positive ID using only one initial would be impossible so its not a big deal.

Back